Why not Fifth Third?

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Southfield, MI
Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Southfield, MI

Pros

Work Ethnic as well as the people. It is fun to be in an environment were most of your co-workers care about there own work and are willing to help you with things you may not understand. The banking industry is hard to cope especially now with the economic downturns that we are facing.

Cons

Just working for a bank right now is the downside. I dont think it has anything to do with Fifth Third directly, its more of the economic placing the blame on banks big and small regardless of there involvement with some of the shady deals done in wall street.

Advice to Management

Keep going on strong as we are a very strong and sound bank. Dont sell fifth third to any one. We are worth alot more than you may know and making a quick buck to merge with another bank / equity firm isnt the answer

Other Employee Reviews for Fifth Third

A Revolving Door for Employees.

Former Employee - Client Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Client Specialist in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Fifth Third hires talented people on the sales and service level.

Cons

There is a revolving door for employees, as the new hires become increasing frustrated to try to navigate between managers competing for power, lack of communications, and inconsistant decision making. Working within, the goals and mission were in constant flux, and reorganizations of the working model seemed to occur around every 5 or 6 months. This placed employees in the position of having to meet with clients regularly to explain why there were new employee departures, and how their services would change once again. Employee morale was very poor, and there was an overall lack of confidence in the managers (both regional and national). For example, the large losses incurred within the organization by investment of corporate funds into the Falcon Fund is one example of how managers are burning away their credibility with the employees. I could never go anywhere within western Michigan and get a favorable reaction when I told individuals in the public where I worked.

Advice to Management

Balance the emphasis on sales with a concern for service. Consider the potential impact on the clients before making changes. Find line managers with integrity, and give them the authority to make changes.

I work in Michigan and my goals are even higher than last years!

Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

With the minimal staffing I should make it through this recession, though I can see senior mtg cutting those that they say make too much.

Cons

The rating system this year is so restrictive that many employees will have a sub-standard rating unless the rating system as set up is not followed. The gaols to be achieve each year are not given until May, so most employees do not know what is to be achieved since there is no two way dialogue on how the goals are set.

Advice to Management

If Gallop is to be used, let our customer's know that the ranking system is 5=good, 4,3,2,1=bad not how we were graded in school, A through E. This system is Pass and Fail but the customer is not aware of the system.