There are newer employer reviews for Fifth Third

It all depends what department and manager you have...

Current Employee - Accounting  in  Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Accounting in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stock discount program and some very knowledgeable people. Hours aren't bad in accounting.

Cons

Fifth Third is a very large employer in Cincinnati so I can't generalize all jobs they offer. All I can do is tell you both Capital markets and Corporate accounting have some very high turnover (Sec reporting and regulation seemed fine). In my time there (less than 2 years) I watched practically the entire department turnover from manager down. People were fired after a few months for not learning quick enough, people would leave less than a month after starting because they hated it, people would leave after having to do other peoples' jobs on top of their own because there was so much turnover, and of course they would leave because the pay wasn't all that great. I also watched 2 people at the director level consistently gossip and bad mouth those they didn't like while giving special treatment to those they did like. If you do get offered a job in either of these two departments please do your homework on why the job is open and what the expectations for you are because I've seen just as many sinkers as swimmers.

It comes from the top down. Poston (former CFO) was demoted, so hopefully some lessons have been learned. Culture is horrendous here though. Very ridged and practically military in "going through the chain of command." Rarely did i ever have interaction with anyone beyond direct supervisor. A lot of favoritism, politics, and high turnover. Really need to take a look at what's causing this in the accounting department...look no further than those at the director level who treat subordinates poorly while kissing up to superiors.

551 Other Employee Reviews for Fifth Third (View Most Recent)

Leadership is disconnected

Current Employee - Financial Center Manager
    Current Employee - Financial Center Manager

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time

Pros

Branch Management is like running your own business.

Cons

There isn't any support from leadership. Difficult to get any advancement for yourself or for your staff.

Develop training programs that lead to straight line advancement for everyone.

No Career Path

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free parking if you are in Operations.

Cons

The company has pushed the "One Bank" philosophy for 3 years now, but in reality each department is in it's own little silo and they rarely speak to each other unless something goes wrong. Upper mananagement is more concerned with their own bonuses and less about developing their people. Salary increases are miniscule and each year they ask employees to pay yet a larger share of benefits.

I'd advise upper management to actually talk to the people who do the work around here. We have plenty of "thinkers", but when it comes to people actually doing work, they don't care. Turnover is high because folks get burned out and when it comes to managers developing their people, it doesn't exist. Not only can you not find out internally what positions in other parts of the company are available, you have no clue how to develop the skills to get there. When it comes to the "old boys" network, this bank seems to lead the pack. If you are male and you have connections, you can continue to climb the corporate ladder regardless on your qualifications, but if you're a woman, good luck!!

There are newer employer reviews for Fifth Third

Worked for Fifth Third? Contribute to the Community!