There are newer employer reviews for Fifth Third

It all depends what department and manager you have...

Current Employee - Accounting in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Accounting in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stock discount program and some very knowledgeable people. Hours aren't bad in accounting.

Cons

Fifth Third is a very large employer in Cincinnati so I can't generalize all jobs they offer. All I can do is tell you both Capital markets and Corporate accounting have some very high turnover (Sec reporting and regulation seemed fine). In my time there (less than 2 years) I watched practically the entire department turnover from manager down. People were fired after a few months for not learning quick enough, people would leave less than a month after starting because they hated it, people would leave after having to do other peoples' jobs on top of their own because there was so much turnover, and of course they would leave because the pay wasn't all that great. I also watched 2 people at the director level consistently gossip and bad mouth those they didn't like while giving special treatment to those they did like. If you do get offered a job in either of these two departments please do your homework on why the job is open and what the expectations for you are because I've seen just as many sinkers as swimmers.

Advice to Management

It comes from the top down. Poston (former CFO) was demoted, so hopefully some lessons have been learned. Culture is horrendous here though. Very ridged and practically military in "going through the chain of command." Rarely did i ever have interaction with anyone beyond direct supervisor. A lot of favoritism, politics, and high turnover. Really need to take a look at what's causing this in the accounting department...look no further than those at the director level who treat subordinates poorly while kissing up to superiors.

reviews filtered by

Decent pay, relaxed environment

Current Employee - Dealer Development Representative
    Current Employee - Dealer Development Representative

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In a work from home position, good manager, great working team.

Cons

Upper management seems disconnected, caters to the top 20%.

Advice to Management

Listen to your front line employees more, they are your ticket to having a better competitive advantage.

2. Leadership is disconnected

Current Employee - Financial Center Manager
    Current Employee - Financial Center Manager

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time

Pros

Branch Management is like running your own business.

Cons

There isn't any support from leadership. Difficult to get any advancement for yourself or for your staff.

Advice to Management

Develop training programs that lead to straight line advancement for everyone.