There are newer employer reviews for Financial Engines

Great place to work but at the time of my employment hours were long and more employees were needed.

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Palo Alto, CA
Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Financial Engines

Pros

Salary was very good, benefits great, people in the trenches were competent and fun to work with. Holiday and PTO typical of most companies. The best part of working there was knowing you were helping folks to utilize financial benefits provided by their companies but never fully explained. The product is priceless and the results of using FE as my own 401k adviser during one of the worst economic downturns resulted in my being able to move and purchase a home with my 401k.

Cons

Some of the Senior Management group did not always seem up to the job they were hired for and misused funds in my opinion.

Advice to Management

Overall CEO did excellent job of steering company and was tireless in the execution of his duty. Where I would say he went wrong was in the process for adding and terminating senior management. It is hard for an employee to watch good folks being let go.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Full of nice, intelligent people

I have been working at Financial Engines

Pros

While I met some of the smartest people in the corporate world here, environment is very collegial and not cut-throat. There are many Stanford/Berkeley phds, and ex-stanford professors in investment management. The environment is very academic and encourages learning. People work hard but make time to help others. Health/vacation benefits are great. The recreation room is also great. Free beverages (sodas, sparkling water, etc.) and breakfast/snack foods.

Cons

Salary is a bit below industry.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Great mission, but consistently overcommitted

I have been working at Financial Engines

Pros

The mission of the company is very inspiring. Financial Engines provides top-notch investment advice to thousands of people for a fraction of the price typically charged by investment advisors. Employees are passionate and unified in this mission.

Cons

The executive management team consistently overcommits which results in people being stretched too thin. This leads to mistakes and re-work and ultimately slows things down. Morale is also down because people are burnt out.

Advice to Management

Continue to stay true to the mission, but work with employees to figure out a realistic workload so that we're not on a path for people to burn out and leave.