There are newer employer reviews for Financial Engines

The people are great but...

I worked at Financial Engines

Pros

I really believed in what the company is doing by making financial advice more egalitarian. I've met some wonderful and smart people there.

Cons

Departments have different criteria for promotions. This left you wondering why some teams were constantly promoting their people while others were not. Plus the teams are constantly being reorganized. Also there is a culture gap between the various offices that caused friction.

The flat organizational structure doesn't give people enough opportunity to continue to build their skill sets. There is not incentive to stay on if there is no where to go.

42 Other Employee Reviews for Financial Engines (View Most Recent)

Fair one

I worked at Financial Engines

Pros

Great people. Great Ideas. Great team work.

Cons

Constant change sometimes feels like churn as opposed to innvovation.

Go public soon. It has been a looong time.

One of the best places to work in the Bay Area

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Financial Engines

Pros

It is one of the most employee friendly companies that I have worked for. This is shown by the fact that there th average tenure of folks in the Software Development Team is 8 years. The management is really open and communicates very effectively with the employees.

The company has a very generous PTO plan with all the standard benefits and 401(K) plan with company match. Also the company has been paying really good bonus for the last few years (yes in this economy!!)

The office in Palo Alto also has a game room with Big Screen TV, Wii, Pin ball machine, snooker table & Foosball. Plus we have free soda, juices etc. Hey it's no google, but combined with the work life balance and the benefits I think it is a great place to work.

Cons

We are constantly fighting fires in the Software Development side. There is never a lull period where we can work on good projects. I guess this is the issue with smaller companies where we give in to customer demands always.

The Management should set more realistic annual goals. We set the standard really high and are unable to achieve it often.

There are newer employer reviews for Financial Engines