There are newer employer reviews for Financial Engines

Its like a government office in third world country

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Financial Engines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are in the valley.

Cons

I agree with some of the reviews here on Glassdoor.com... this place does not have a vibe of a high tech company. They are very slow in adapting anything new. The technology they were using in 2013, was the technology I used in 2007-2008 in another company.
Once the excitement of new job was over - I quickly figured that I had just depreciated value of my career. During my run here, I did not learn anything new in terms of technology (I mean it...). There was no scope for innovation or learning.

I went to Financial Engines from a start-up. At our 20 people startup - our direction changed frequently, it was exhausting - but there was leadership, there was a vision! At Financial Engines, there is NO vision, and absolutely NO leadership. There is tons of micromanagement - if thats what you are looking for go and join Financial Engines.

People are another topic of discussion too. Yes, most of the people there have been around for a very long time (I don't know if that is good either..); They know functionality very well...and they WILL NOT share the knowledge...! They guard their turf! Not one manager/director/VP has diverse teams.

42 Other Employee Reviews for Financial Engines (View Most Recent)

Not for rockstar engineers

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Probably a good company for engineers seeking "stability" over growth.

Cons

Note: The review is about Financial Engines Tech organization only (may be Prod Management too), HR, Legal may be more desirable to employees.

1. From Technology perspective this is a feet dragging organization. It became clear to me on the first day. Dated frameworks, tools (if at all they exist), and everything is home grown!

2. The architects/tech decision makers are old and very conservative. Very slow in adapting the technology that will not only make the application development easy, but also secure. The only reason they are not hacked yet is probably because they never came on the hacker's radar. Developers are responsible for web development too (result - check out their web site - if you can figure out how to get there..) .
    3. BTW there are not many top school employees in the tech org here (there are quite a few in legal and business side), but somehow during interviews they create air as such (IIRC - quote from one of my FEI interviewer "We use to employ Ivy League graduates only - now we have relaxed") -- Check out linkedIn profiles of their tech staff.

4. New people are not welcome! Yes, the old timers are very touchy-feely with each other. If you don't suck up - you are out! One more thing, check out the profiles of Directors are VPs. Pay attention to their tenure at FE and academic background - ALL have been there at FE for 12+ years, none is from high ranking University. (Most are not even from a second rate University - how did I not see it before joining?)

5. Also people who have been there for more than 5 years pretty much don't have to follow any rules - they roll in at 10 and leave at 4:30. Also, its common practice for managers/directors to insult staff in meetings.

6. They follow some pseudo agile development methodology, people spend a good % of time filling up the time-sheets.
     7. There are way too many couples in tech org!

Get rid of your current tech management! Bring some new blood in.

Engineers are a dime a dozen

Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Financial Engines full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting product space, fun group of people

Cons

Poorly designed product, overly difficult to use

Value your engineers more and simpify your product

There are newer employer reviews for Financial Engines