Finisar

www.finisar.com

what a weird trip it has been

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Proscollegial atmosphere among and between most workgroups. bright, and mostly idealistic, people who try harder because of competitive industry segment. flexible working hours. casual and informal work environment. attempt to create a "we are family" atmosphere.

Conssenior management flounders around when creating a strategy, fails to get buy-in from everyone (when it even bothers to communicate strategy out to the rest of the company), executes poorly. average age of senior mgmt is fairly high, wonder what they've learned at prior positions. approach to work is blue-collar type of "git 'er done" mentality. approach to competitors is either "shoot 'em up" like a bunch of cowboys or throw money at them by buying them out; only to realize after the fact that the IP or market share purchased is worth mostly tiddly-winks. management is by personality instead of by principles. weird incestuous relationship between senior management team where they will fight tooth and nail among themselves, but gang up in a moment against anyone outside senior management team.

Advice to Senior Managementstop sweethearting money to senior management to buy their loyalty. loyalty that is bought cannot be kept when the money dries up. outsource processes as necessary, critical company IP has already been stolen many times over. with outsourcing you at least can zero in on the source of the leaks or thefts. get out of mainland china, they're a smug bunch of thieves. get out of malaysia, their greatest ambition in life is to match the smugness and thievery of the chinese operations. move cleanroom manufacturing to north-central thailand. either create operational processes or buy them off the shelf, simply accept the fact that we are weak on process-orientation. get off the "gee-whiz" high of super-cool finisar technology, we don't have an exclusive on the tech and never will.

great people, poor business model

Lead Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Finisar

Pros: People at Finisar are very nice and company is trying hard to keep it this way. I heard from several people that it's so imporatnt… Cons: Number one problem is lack of career opportunites. Because US R&D head count basically stays constant over years and all manufacturing side has been moved… Advice to Senior Management: Think twice about new M&A. Expand into new areas like… More

Mechanical engineer

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) Ipoh (Malaysia)

I have been working at Finisar full-time for more than a year

Pros: Nice work culture, light job, nice pay Cons: Work is not challenging enough Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Finisar.

Worked for Finisar? Contribute to the Community!