Firestone Complete Auto Care

www.firestonecompleteautocare.com
  www.firestonecompleteautocare.com
There are newer employer reviews for Firestone Complete Auto Care

It could always be worse

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Firestone Complete Auto Care full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Excellent employee pricing structure
-The money is real, if you're good it can be incredible (top 5% of managers are easily 150k+)
-Usually fast paced so the days go quick which is good because...see also Cons
-Job security. If you arent stealing and can follow policy you can basically stay forever, regardless of performance
-Tons of management flexibility because you do virtually everything yourself
-If you are good you can essentially do whatever you like and will generally be left alone (trust me there were times my entire goal was to do well enough to be left alone)
-Benefits are industry leading but see also Cons
-Constant feedback about performance but see also Cons
-As a Manager you do make your own schedule
-There are a ton of really good people within the company

Cons

I worked there 15 years at every level including the corporate offices in Chicago so keep that in mind, Im not angry or disgruntled I quit and I was in that top 5% of managers.
-Constant understaffing because of poor modeling/management design (% of sales is a terrible method of calculating payroll costs)
-You WILL be working on your own and as a salaried employee (minus a handful of managers in California) you ARE gonna be someone's b***h. When you hire a new salesperson dont be shocked when you work 45+ days in a row, my record was 63
-Unbelievable amounts of turnover, especially in the shop because Technicians are treated incredibly poorly
-Technicians, by and large, are like working with 5 year olds. They know there is a shortage and that, ultimately, replacing a good one is INCREDIBLY hard which is because...
-Technician pay sucks
-While the money is real the amount of time spent in the store is insanity and ultimately caused me to quit. 55 hour minimum work weeks are NOT the norm but since that came straight from my ADMs mouth I can only believe he thinks it really is.
-There is almost no possibility for advancement. 2300+ stores and only 62 districts with between 2-3 positions. District turnover is exceptionally low so going from Store Manager to ADM is just not going to happen for the vast majority.
-Benefits have become increasingly expensive
-If you dont love reports you arent going to love this job. From the ones you do to the ones you are bombarded with daily. I LOVE reports, I mean love them...but god bless there are a lot of them.
-Sometimes people say "senior management is clueless" but they have never really met or even know any of them...I do, I know them all, probably 80% are clueless clowns who "ran a store" in the 70s, you know, back when shocks were $19.99 installed.
-You have to love when your "holiday hours" for Christmas Eve are...regular store hours lol
-The customer satisfaction policy is a joke and the customers know it. We trained our customers to be terrible.
-The customer survey system effects your bonus, sometimes dramatically, and there is no "appeals" process.
-Bonus programs can promote dishonesty.

They never took any when I had direct access I cant imagine they would bother reading this either but hey, what the hell.

1) There is a reason you cant get good techs, look no further than your shi**y hours and pay. If you want people to work every weekend then you have to make it up to them somehow. The sheer amount of morale gained from being close on Sunday would be incredible.

2) The service profit chain does mention results for employees, this isnt 1940 and results for employees does not mean "paycheck"

3) When your top 5%ers are talking you should probably listen. When your Managing Partners and best store managers are all telling you the same thing they probably didnt just make it up out of thin air.

4) For 15 years I did what the company needed and do you know why I quit? Not because of the crappy environment, not because of the money, not even because of my bosses (who are generally pretty good guys). I quit because you assumed that your results were more important than my life outside of work. You assumed that I never would. Most people dont ask for much, just a basic level of respect.

5) Decide what you really want to be and strive to be really good at it. I can tell you now that if you strive to be a service provider and not a "real retailer" you will find the results are better and more rewarding.

PS - To Glassdoor, Larry Magee is retired

201 Other Employee Reviews for Firestone Complete Auto Care (View Most Recent)

micromanaged, terrible pay, Disrespectful

Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Hill Air Force Base, UT
    Former Employee - Automotive Technician in Hill Air Force Base, UT

I worked at Firestone Complete Auto Care full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The shop I worked in had one of the best main techs, He taught me a lot and never had the "I'm better than you" attitude like most techs I've met.

Cons

First off I've been trained since I was young to build race engines, I was also a mechanic for the Spider Man Monster truck team for 2 years and a motorcycle mechanic for 6 years.

This company's priority #1 is tires , Good luck making a living on flat rate and tires.

Management and sales will push whatever parts will give them the best bonus at the end of each month, So don't even bother voicing your opinions for recommended or required parts.
    You will be told "That's what we sell here" .... Ridiculous. Listen to your techs and Fix things right the first time and your customers and employees might stick around..

I started out at 16$hr but despite what they may tell you only hit that 40hr flat rate once since working there, so expect to manage your bills and life around there 30hr guarantee.

Techs get paid terribly on most jobs..
    Example- Replacing one inner tie rod = 0.9hr
                    Replacing each additional = 0.3hr

The list goes on and on...Pretty much the worst shop I've worked in.

Listen to your technicians and pay correct labor times!!

If you work for Firestone - you have NO LIFE outside Firestone!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Firestone Complete Auto Care full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You have a job.....and some benefits.

Cons

Managers required to work weekend sales events once a month that are usually holiday weekends that normal people get 3 days off like labor day, memorial day, presidents day.

Tire Manager required to work almost every Sunday.

Not a lot of room for time off. You have only couple of minutes a day for a lunch - that's it.

You must be very hands on to work here, not much delegation, happening around here. You will be accountable for personal performance, and leadership doesn't count for much.

Must work every Saturday.

Higher ups will ignore problems in store and managers who abuse employees as long as sales are good in store.

Lack of development beyond store manager level.

Culture of the manager carrying the store and upper management believes the store will fail or sales will fall short on managers day off.

"Put yourself at least once in your life in our shoes". Start taking care of the employee and the employee will take care of the customer. Think about their work life balance. Spend more time at retail level rather than just sending emails. Properly staff your stores.

There are newer employer reviews for Firestone Complete Auto Care