Firestone Complete Auto Care

www.firestonecompleteautocare.com
Unclaimed Profile
There are newer employer reviews for Firestone Complete Auto Care

It could always be worse

Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Firestone Complete Auto Care full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

-Excellent employee pricing structure -The money is real, if you're good it can be incredible (top 5% of managers are easily 150k+) -Usually fast paced so the days go quick which is good because...see also Cons -Job security. If you arent stealing and can follow policy you can basically stay forever, regardless of performance -Tons of management flexibility because you do virtually everything yourself -If you are good you can essentially do whatever you like and will generally be left alone (trust me there were times my entire goal was to do well enough to be left alone) -Benefits are industry leading but see also Cons -Constant feedback about performance but see also Cons -As a Manager you do make your own schedule -There are a ton of really good people within the company

Cons

I worked there 15 years at every level including the corporate offices in Chicago so keep that in mind, Im not angry or disgruntled I quit and I was in that top 5% of managers. -Constant understaffing because of poor modeling/management design (% of sales is a terrible method of calculating payroll costs) -You WILL be working on your own and as a salaried employee (minus a handful of managers in California) you ARE gonna be someone's b***h. When you hire a new salesperson dont be shocked when you work 45+ days in a row, my record was 63 -Unbelievable amounts of turnover, especially in the shop because Technicians are treated incredibly poorly -Technicians, by and large, are like working with 5 year olds. They know there is a shortage and that, ultimately, replacing a good one is INCREDIBLY hard which is because... -Technician pay sucks -While the money is real the amount of time spent in the store is insanity and ultimately caused me to quit. 55 hour minimum work weeks are NOT the norm but since that came straight from my ADMs mouth I can only believe he thinks it really is. -There is almost no possibility for advancement. 2300+ stores and only 62 districts with between 2-3 positions. District turnover is exceptionally low so going from Store Manager to ADM is just not going to happen for the vast majority. -Benefits have become increasingly expensive -If you dont love reports you arent going to love this job. From the ones you do to the ones you are bombarded with daily. I LOVE reports, I mean love them...but god bless there are a lot of them. -Sometimes people say "senior management is clueless" but they have never really met or even know any of them...I do, I know them all, probably 80% are clueless clowns who "ran a store" in the 70s, you know, back when shocks were $19.99 installed. -You have to love when your "holiday hours" for Christmas Eve are...regular store hours lol -The customer satisfaction policy is a joke and the customers know it. We trained our customers to be terrible. -The customer survey system effects your bonus, sometimes dramatically, and there is no "appeals" process. -Bonus programs can promote dishonesty.

Advice to Management

They never took any when I had direct access I cant imagine they would bother reading this either but hey, what the hell. 1) There is a reason you cant get good techs, look no further than your shi**y hours and pay. If you want people to work every weekend then you have to make it up to them somehow. The sheer amount of morale gained from being close on Sunday would be incredible. 2) The service profit chain does mention results for employees, this isnt 1940 and results for employees does not mean "paycheck" 3) When your top 5%ers are talking you should probably listen. When your Managing Partners and best store managers are all telling you the same thing they probably didnt just make it up out of thin air. 4) For 15 years I did what the company needed and do you know why I quit? Not because of the crappy environment, not because of the money, not even because of my bosses (who are generally pretty good guys). I quit because you assumed that your results were more important than my life outside of work. You assumed that I never would. Most people dont ask for much, just a basic level of respect. 5) Decide what you really want to be and strive to be really good at it. I can tell you now that if you strive to be a service provider and not a "real retailer" you will find the results are better and more rewarding. PS - To Glassdoor, Larry Magee is retired

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

If you work for Firestone - you have NO LIFE outside Firestone!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Firestone Complete Auto Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have a job.....and some benefits.

Cons

Managers required to work weekend sales events once a month that are usually holiday weekends that normal people get 3 days off like labor day, memorial day, presidents day. Tire Manager required to work almost every Sunday. Not a lot of room for time off. You have only couple of minutes a day for a lunch - that's it. You must be very hands on to work here, not much delegation, happening around here. You will be accountable for personal performance, and leadership doesn't count for much. Must work every Saturday. Higher ups will ignore problems in store and managers who abuse employees as long as sales are good in store. Lack of development beyond store manager level. Culture of the manager carrying the store and upper management believes the store will fail or sales will fall short on managers day off.

Advice to Management

"Put yourself at least once in your life in our shoes". Start taking care of the employee and the employee will take care of the customer. Think about their work life balance. Spend more time at retail level rather than just sending emails. Properly staff your stores.

Spent 10+ years working in Firestone retail store management

Former Employee - Service Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Service Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Firestone Complete Auto Care full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This company was very good to work for until a few years ago when they started to transition to a more cutthroat/short term results style of retail. Front shop management pay is decent. Benefits were very good, but have been reduced a lot in the last few years. Job security also used to be a plus for this company until a few years ago. You will accrue up to 4 weeks of vacation if you survive with the company long enough.

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible. As a full-time front shop manager you will almost live at the store. You will also be expected to work nearly every Saturday and many Sundays. There is also little to no appreciation from upper management for the hours you put in. The technicians and some general service staff which you manage are paid by a flat rate system in which they will spend a lot of weeks working 40-50 hours and getting paid for 30. This makes it very difficult to manage and motivate staff. Morale at many stores is very low leading to a frustrating work environment. A lot of teammates I worked with in last few years have one foot out the door or have left the company all together.

Advice to Management

This review would have been much different just a few years ago. Go back to building stores as teams. This is much better for customer service and customer/employee retention. Remember that the employees are a valuable asset and not just names on a sheet of paper. Stop using bullying managing tactics and embrace positive feedback. It will be better for your employees and your customers. Also, pay your technicians fairly. Care about your customers enough to offer them fully staffed stores and fully trained employees.