There are newer employer reviews for First American

You can do a lot better

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Van Nuys, CA
Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at First American full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-401(k), paid vacations and opportunities to get a little overtime money in during the busy/summer season
-The higher ups put forth some effort to create a casual environment and make a 9-5 cubicle gig less like, well...a typical 9-5 cubicle gig

Cons

-Frequent mass layoffs. Would be understandable if layoffs were necessary for the survival of the company and based on the selective weeding out of under performers and other "bad apples", but it doesn't appear that way. I was herded into a room with seemly randomly chosen people (many of whom been with the company for years, worked very hard, were never late...), given the axe and basically pushed out of the office after the "clean off your desks" speech. I know they do that to prevent any "incidents", but one can be little less curt and robotic when terminating someone's job. Also, as others have pointed out, it's not a good look when a company wraps itself in an American flag and lets employees know how profitable the company is, but outsources to India and lays off great workers.
-Interdepartmental fighting. Department A doesn't know exactly what Department B is doing and vice versa
-Training is minimal. No written standard operating procedures for your position. You have to rely on coworkers (cross your fingers that they are friendly and/or not busy!) and (sometimes nonconstructive) criticism from supervisors to help you out.
-Company has a horrible reputation. Google reviews for First American and see what I mean.

reviews filtered by

I enjoyed working here because of the people in my department. We grew very close and worked well together.

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at First American full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked here for close to ten and held varied position. There is room for advancement.

Cons

Positions are being eliminated due to out sourcing it has become unreliable. Parking lot was always full. Cubicles where not high enough no privacy and noisy. Meeting production was difficult sometimes because if you were experienced you would get the more difficult work. I should of been more balanced.

Personally I think it is so sad that any company bearing the name 'American' in its Title could outsource jobs and be part of the growing unemployment problem in the US.

2. Management seems to care for employees and work-life balance quality is improving

Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company is conservative in its business philosophy; management is caring toward employees, industry is mature and stable, headquarters campus is beautiful and well maintained. Management is working hard on improving work-life balance and employee assistance in many areas.

Cons

Some departments especially IT are bureaucratic. Company is starting to lose its family-oriented atmosphere and becoming more corporate-like. This is understandable given the size and growth of the last two decades.

There are newer employer reviews for First American