There are newer employer reviews for First American

The culture fostered here is one of family and most everyone that you work with are great!

Current Employee - IT Manager
Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at First American full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

-Great culture
-Friendly people
- Promote from within
- Believe in having personal time
-Generous benefits and PTO

Cons

- Unequal pay for same work performed
- 80% is good enough for rush to market
- People are allowed to make their own rules rather than following the rules made for the good of the company as a whole.

To be more forceful when it comes to policy & process enforcement and not tolerate the rogue employees
To pay folks market rate rather than allow the experiences people to leave for more money and then we have to hire at market rate and train them.

104 Other Employee Reviews for First American (View Most Recent)

I enjoyed working here because of the people in my department. We grew very close and worked well together.

Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Associate in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at First American full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I worked here for close to ten and held varied position. There is room for advancement.

Cons

Positions are being eliminated due to out sourcing it has become unreliable. Parking lot was always full. Cubicles where not high enough no privacy and noisy. Meeting production was difficult sometimes because if you were experienced you would get the more difficult work. I should of been more balanced.

Personally I think it is so sad that any company bearing the name 'American' in its Title could outsource jobs and be part of the growing unemployment problem in the US.

You can do a lot better

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at First American full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-401(k), paid vacations and opportunities to get a little overtime money in during the busy/summer season
    -The higher ups put forth some effort to create a casual environment and make a 9-5 cubicle gig less like, well...a typical 9-5 cubicle gig

Cons

-Frequent mass layoffs. Would be understandable if layoffs were necessary for the survival of the company and based on the selective weeding out of under performers and other "bad apples", but it doesn't appear that way. I was herded into a room with seemly randomly chosen people (many of whom been with the company for years, worked very hard, were never late...), given the axe and basically pushed out of the office after the "clean off your desks" speech. I know they do that to prevent any "incidents", but one can be little less curt and robotic when terminating someone's job. Also, as others have pointed out, it's not a good look when a company wraps itself in an American flag and lets employees know how profitable the company is, but outsources to India and lays off great workers.
    -Interdepartmental fighting. Department A doesn't know exactly what Department B is doing and vice versa
    -Training is minimal. No written standard operating procedures for your position. You have to rely on coworkers (cross your fingers that they are friendly and/or not busy!) and (sometimes nonconstructive) criticism from supervisors to help you out.
    -Company has a horrible reputation. Google reviews for First American and see what I mean.

There are newer employer reviews for First American