Solid Company, Solid People

Current Employee - IT Professional in Santa Ana, CA
Current Employee - IT Professional in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment, great people. Family feel. Great place to start your career and grow.

Cons

Pay could be better, but I do see positive changes in that area.

reviews filtered by

Not bad.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Ana, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Ana, CA

I have been working at First American full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty good about buying/paying for technology to support the business.

Cons

Not too good about acknowledging the employee's that support & maintain the technology. And I'm not even talking about $.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on talent retention and employee appreciation.

"Congratulations, you can come back to work on Monday" is not good pep-talk for motivation, joking or otherwise.

You can do a lot better

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Van Nuys, CA
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Van Nuys, CA

I worked at First American full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-401(k), paid vacations and opportunities to get a little overtime money in during the busy/summer season
    -The higher ups put forth some effort to create a casual environment and make a 9-5 cubicle gig less like, well...a typical 9-5 cubicle gig

Cons

-Frequent mass layoffs. Would be understandable if layoffs were necessary for the survival of the company and based on the selective weeding out of under performers and other "bad apples", but it doesn't appear that way. I was herded into a room with seemly randomly chosen people (many of whom been with the company for years, worked very hard, were never late...), given the axe and basically pushed out of the office after the "clean off your desks" speech. I know they do that to prevent any "incidents", but one can be little less curt and robotic when terminating someone's job. Also, as others have pointed out, it's not a good look when a company wraps itself in an American flag and lets employees know how profitable the company is, but outsources to India and lays off great workers.
    -Interdepartmental fighting. Department A doesn't know exactly what Department B is doing and vice versa
    -Training is minimal. No written standard operating procedures for your position. You have to rely on coworkers (cross your fingers that they are friendly and/or not busy!) and (sometimes nonconstructive) criticism from supervisors to help you out.
    -Company has a horrible reputation. Google reviews for First American and see what I mean.