There are newer employer reviews for First Data

The company's outstanding debts are causing a stressful environment for their employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is extremely good about promoting diversity and hiring minorities and disabled workers. They also are very good about discouraging any sort of racism or sexism. Upper management seems to be trying to come up with answers to company's problems.

Cons

The area that I was in had an extremely stressful and tense work environment. There were requirements about how fast employees needed to respond to problems, without the necessary numbers of employees to fulfill those requirements. Employee morale was extremely low while I was working there.

Other Employee Reviews for First Data

1. Watch your Back!

Former Employee - Administrative in Hunt Valley, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative in Hunt Valley, MD

I worked at First Data full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary, good benefits - really liked the group of people I worked with. They had respect for me and I had respect for them .

Cons

Could not progress beyond certain level unless I had college degree. I had the experience but not the degree therefore, I was not eligible for any promotions. Also at play within FDC is lots of corporate politics - if you ever cross (disagree with) any manager, watch out for your back because you'll be on the next "lay off" list and it has nothing to do with your performance. I had been with same group of people for 12 years and at age 63 was out the door. I always had the highest review rankings so it had nothing to do with ability. Most technical employees were basically on call 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week.

Advice to Management

Promote based on abiility, not just on educational level. There is intuitive intelligence and book smarts. Intuitive intelligence is by far a broader intellect (problem solving) than someone who has been educated strictly by the book. And make sure when you do lay someone off that there is no vindictive motivation behind the act. You are taking away someone's livelihood to assuage a manager's ego.

2. No Training for Those of us in Support Services

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I worked at First Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable Company, good local leadership.

Cons

The culture is so conservative and lacks innovation

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the ones who manage your life day to day