There are newer employer reviews for First Investors Corporation

Great place to start your career as a financial professional

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is more than willing to invest in their new employees. Many firms will refrain from offering licensing eligibility for a considerable amount of time. First Investors sponsors and encourages their representatives to obtain their licenses as quickly as possible. New reps also receive a small salary while studying and starting their business. The family-like environment makes learning the business much more enjoyable.

Cons

Work/Life balance is definitely an issue. Prepare to work 6 days per week, often times putting a priority on attendance over productivity. Miscommunication and contradicting instructions from different levels of management can cause an incredible amount of unnecessary stress for representatives. Lazy management creates an environment where interns train, hire, and manage other interns.

Advice to Management

Micromanagement of managers who are already incredibly involved and on top of their office often causes more problems than it solves.

Other Employee Reviews for First Investors Corporation

Being put out of your comfort zone countless times to the point where your successful

Current Employee - Financial Services Representative in Woodbridge, NJ

I have been working at First Investors Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary while on the training program is extremely helpful to keep you afloat. All the support in the world from your manager and mentor with the training tools being endless. I don't know many jobs with the freedom to make your own schedule and make as much money as you want.

Cons

Because of the high turnover there is definitely a wall up from other reps. But once you stick around for a while and prove yourself, you're golden, pony boy. I don't know if this is a con or more towards advice but; you must work hard to be successful! We're talking 50+ hour weeks and Saturdays.

Advice to Management

Consistency.

Informative look into the basic financial advising career.

Former Intern - Financial Services Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Former Intern - Financial Services Representative in Beaverton, OR

I worked at First Investors Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The employees and managers in the officer were fantastic people and really made the summer intern position enjoyable. Many activities both inside the office and outside that provided opportunity to bond with the people and still learn about the different aspects of finding, meeting, and advising clients. Weekly case studies and lessons helped to get an inside look into how the advisers would approach a client's financial situation.

Cons

The internship was very hands off for the interns. There was little that we interns could actually do besides just sit and listen. We were set up with a mentor in the office that was already a successful adviser with the company, but our mentor did very little to interact with us unless we went to him and pushed the issue.

Advice to Management

Hold the mentors accountable for enriching the intern experience with the company. Create a program where the interns feel like they are actually learning about the financial tools and where they feel like they are being more involved so that they can get a better understanding of what they are getting into. Paint a picture for the interns that also covers the negative side of the financial adviser position. Some of the other interns distanced themselves because only the positive sides were told, and seemed too good to be true. Make it seem real.