There are newer employer reviews for First Midwest Bancorp

Not the worst place to work, but not the best either

Current Employee - Position Within the Corporate Office in Itasca, IL
Current Employee - Position Within the Corporate Office in Itasca, IL

Pros

Workplace flexibility is something that many take advantage of, depending on the position (i.e. telecommuting, flexible hours). Benefits (i.e. Health/dental/vision) are available to both FT and PT employees. Option to buy/sell vacation.

Cons

Benefits are expensive compared to other comparable companies, especially for PT employees. Paid holidays are the bare minimum (6/year). Pay is lower than similar banks in the area. 401K matching is not very generous. Vacation time does not roll over year to year. Opportunities for advancement are not readily available if working within the Operations sector.

Advice to Management

Increase the 401K match amount to promote more participation and attract employees to save more. Offer more paid holidays. Open more branches/offices directly west of Itasca (in DuPage/Kane counties).

Other Employee Reviews for First Midwest Bancorp

1. Good Place to work

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Highland, IN
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Highland, IN

Pros

I enjoy working for First Midwest Bank because there are many opportunities to grow. For example, they offer many training classes through their "university" in which you can improve skills on products, sales, and even communication at no cost. Furthermore, there are opportunities to move up the corporate ladder here and I have always been encourage my management to continue to grow.

Cons

One of the downsides I would say is compensation. I think the pay is lower than some other banks but compensation for sales goals and health benefits make up for the factor.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and I would hope you will continue to expand and grow because I would like to see more exposure of First Midwest Bank. I think one of problems is people are not aware of who we are and what we represent as a bank. I think through increasing marketing and expansion First Midwest Bank can continue to be a community bank for more individuals.

2. Ok place to work, not the best, but not the worst either.

Former Employee - Banker in Joliet, IL
    Former Employee - Banker in Joliet, IL

Pros

Feedback is given on a regular basis in a set and fair way.

Cons

They hire outside employees and pay them more than employees who have been there for years. They will sometimes hire from outside even if there is a qualified person internally.

Advice to Management

Senior management should work to eliminate the cliques present.