First Niagara Financial

www.firstniagara.com
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for First Niagara Financial

Good company but trying to grow too fast

Current Employee - Branch Manager
Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with and for want you to succeed. They have assembled a team of people from a ton of great organizations and they are attempting to build a new leader in banking. They put lots of focus around organizational development, engagement, and transparency. I am a top performer and I get constant regonition for my production and leadership.

Cons

The problems are around the fast expansion of the company. They had four purchases within four years and went from a savings thrift bank to a top 25 within that time. As a result, everything is constantly changing and no one can keep up. The communication is terrible and the incentive program does not reward. Although you get recognitinon, if money is a concern this is not the place to be. Due to all the purchases the budget is tight and they don't pay for performance. It often feels like the people at the top want to be running a large bank so badly that they don't care how their employees are affected and how much they have to deal with from the public.Lastly, there is little room for advancement since the company is still generally small and doesn't have a range of available positions.

Reward employees and don't make them feel like sales machines. Sometimes the goals can stay relatively stagnant from year to year. Raising a goal and then unofficially raising it by 20% more puts employees in a stressful position.

53 Other Employee Reviews for First Niagara Financial (View Most Recent)

Disappointing , no room for advancement

Former Employee - Relationship Banker
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Convenient locations, very nice coworkers.

Cons

Does not promote from within, raises are very small, sales pressure is ever increasing and the company is trying to force everyone in retail to work harder to finance their acquisitions.

Value the people that built the company. Not everyone from outside is better than whom you already have working there. Re interview your current staff, they have a lot to offer.

Movement in Management causing Negative Changes

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Salary! I enjoyed working with people who had been in the business for a very long time. I was always learning something new.

Cons

Constant movements in management caused negativity with employees and unwelcome changes. The overall atmosphere of the job after some of these changes was negative. All employees in my office were VERY unhappy when I left.

Pay more attention to changes, peoples entire lives are affected by these changes. One person in the wrong position can cause serious loss of talent.

There are newer employer reviews for First Niagara Financial