First Niagara Financial
www.fnfg.com Buffalo, NY 5000+ Employees

Good company but trying to grow too fast

Branch Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people you work with and for want you to succeed. They have assembled a team of people from a ton of great organizations and they are attempting to build a new leader in banking. They put lots of focus around organizational development, engagement, and transparency. I am a top performer and I get constant regonition for my production and leadership.

ConsThe problems are around the fast expansion of the company. They had four purchases within four years and went from a savings thrift bank to a top 25 within that time. As a result, everything is constantly changing and no one can keep up. The communication is terrible and the incentive program does not reward. Although you get recognitinon, if money is a concern this is not the place to be. Due to all the purchases the budget is tight and they don't pay for performance. It often feels like the people at the top want to be running a large bank so badly that they don't care how their employees are affected and how much they have to deal with from the public.Lastly, there is little room for advancement since the company is still generally small and doesn't have a range of available positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward employees and don't make them feel like sales machines. Sometimes the goals can stay relatively stagnant from year to year. Raising a goal and then unofficially raising it by 20% more puts employees in a stressful position.

Disappointing , no room for advancement

Relationship Banker (Former Employee)

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Convenient locations, very nice coworkers. Cons: Does not promote from within, raises are very small, sales pressure is ever increasing and… Advice to Senior Management: Value the people that built the company. Not everyone from outside is better than whom… More

Movement in Management causing Negative Changes

Financial Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Great Salary! I enjoyed working with people who had been in the… Cons: Constant movements in management caused negativity with employees and unwelcome changes. The overall atmosphere of the job… Advice to Senior Management: Pay more attention to changes, peoples entire lives are affected by these changes.… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on First Niagara Financial.

Worked for First Niagara Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at First Niagara Financial reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for First Niagara Financial CEO John R. Koelmel. All reviews posted anonymously by First Niagara Financial employees.