There are newer employer reviews for First Republic (CA)

Poor management, bad processes, lack of collaboration, few opportunities and awful communication.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The compensation is "okay". It's not at the bottom but definitely not at the top. Especially since this bank produces more revenue per employee than most other firms.

If you work at a corporate office, you have the advantage of goingto eagle cafe. You can get a solid breakfast and lunch for a fairly cheap price (especially in SF).

Some of the people here are fun to work with it.

Cons

I will admit, when I first started at FRB I was so excited because I had always wanted to work here, that it casted a huge shade over all that was wrong with the workplace. I was told we were in transition and working towards the better so the environment would be less toxic. 3 years later, guess what? I still get that exact same message.

Before I started here, even one of my trusted recruiters told me to reconsider. There is a high turnover rate, which is also a bad sign. There are rutheless management practices. I've seen people get fired for consistantly meeting all expectations.

More than anything, is the quote that I and a few of my colleagues received from our VP in a skip level meeting,

"I have no intention of doing any internal promotions. If we have hire level positions open, we'll just hire experienced staff to come in. If you want a hire position, you'll move on to another company. That's just corporate culture."

I honestly don't have any advice to management. I'm not sure on how to fix a toxic environment outside of making changes to management.

68 Other Employee Reviews for First Republic (CA) (View Most Recent)

FRB is a great place to work if you are complacent, but...

Current Employee - Analyst/Associate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst/Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

I have worked for 3 departments at the bank and I've been lucky to have very laidback, supportive managers -- however, not everyone at the bank has a great manager. Other pros include:

- Eagles Cafe
    - If you like to drink and party, you'll love it here
    - Compensation in some departments are generous (other departments are underpaid)
    - Flexible work schedule -- again, only in some departments
    - Strong customer service
    - Great marketing

FRB is a great place to work if you are complacent - but for highly motivated individuals who want upward mobility, there are better opportunities.

Cons

- Stagnant jobs, unchanged career path, little room for growth
    - Not many well rounded employees -- maybe not in all departments
    - The work is not stimulating, a lot of data entry or work that requires little/no thought
    - Office politics and mediocre employees
    - People are quick to throw you under the bus
    - Lack/absent of knowledge, management, and leadership skills from Senior Management
    - Poor organization structure and no processes in place
    - OT may get rejected
    - Gossip and drama

hire better managers and executives, develop young employees, and encourage feedback from your team

Short and unchanged career path.

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you like parties and drinking ... there is a lot going on.

Cons

Had a very manipulative and emotionally abusive boss. My boss would say anything and do anything stay in the company, 12+ years.

Manipulative co-workers who would turn senior manager against high skillful employees. When director is gone on vacation a co-worker and my boss cornered me in with screaming and fusing at me, because a project that was assigned to me.

One time a manager said this out load, "I wonder what it is like being black". Then another co-worker made a joke about chocolate people. Some people at First Republic Bank can be racist and not care.

Another co-worker made it a point to hit me in the halls with their cart.

Be willing to leave the company if do not like there. Everyone knows you do not like there.

There are newer employer reviews for First Republic (CA)

Worked for First Republic (CA)? Contribute to the Community!