There are newer employer reviews for First Republic (CA)

Great employees to work with but lots of politics with upper management.

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time

Pros

Friendly and down to earth co-workers. Less red tape, easier to get processes moving since the bank is still fairly small for the amount of business they generate.

Cons

Lots of kissing up to upper management. You are constantly being watched and judged whether you know it or not. Employees do at least double the work but do not necessarily get paid for it compared to other banks. Technology is getting better but still lags behind some competitors.

FRB has had a reputation of being a small private bank that values each employee. This is becoming less and less apparent as the bank is grows.

78 Other Employee Reviews for First Republic (CA) (View Most Recent)

Definitely In or out of the group

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time

Pros

Location.Some great people, if you actually get to meet them

Cons

Not much growth. A little stuck in the 80s

Less micromanaging. But this comes from the top and seems to be at every large company.

Poor management, bad processes, lack of collaboration, few opportunities and awful communication.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation is "okay". It's not at the bottom but definitely not at the top. Especially since this bank produces more revenue per employee than most other firms.

If you work at a corporate office, you have the advantage of goingto eagle cafe. You can get a solid breakfast and lunch for a fairly cheap price (especially in SF).

Some of the people here are fun to work with it.

Cons

I will admit, when I first started at FRB I was so excited because I had always wanted to work here, that it casted a huge shade over all that was wrong with the workplace. I was told we were in transition and working towards the better so the environment would be less toxic. 3 years later, guess what? I still get that exact same message.

Before I started here, even one of my trusted recruiters told me to reconsider. There is a high turnover rate, which is also a bad sign. There are rutheless management practices. I've seen people get fired for consistantly meeting all expectations.

More than anything, is the quote that I and a few of my colleagues received from our VP in a skip level meeting,

"I have no intention of doing any internal promotions. If we have hire level positions open, we'll just hire experienced staff to come in. If you want a hire position, you'll move on to another company. That's just corporate culture."

I honestly don't have any advice to management. I'm not sure on how to fix a toxic environment outside of making changes to management.

There are newer employer reviews for First Republic (CA)