There are newer employer reviews for First Republic (CA)

Nice place to settle down

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Successful organization - they know their market and tend to it well
Friendly people
Nice location (downtown SF)
Employee cafeteria on premises
Low risk of being fired for incompetence

Cons

Old style - in many respects 10+ years behind similar organizations
Political - it is all about people and relationships
Territorial and vertical (very functional organization as opposed to matrix type orgs)
Slow and cumbersome - too often key stakeholders retrench behind rigid/outdated processes rather than try to be part of the solution, behave as "owners" and exercise their brain muscle.

reviews filtered by

Not what I was led to believe

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great location (if you're in SF), excellent customer service levels

Cons

Employees are not treated as well as the customers are, too many politics, egos, and micromanagement.

I was sold a very different experience than I found to be true once I started working here. Some of the things I was told were true (like how they treat customers and that client service is paramount), but there's more red tape, politicking, egomaniacs, and gossiping behind the scenes. My immediate team is great, but after some of the stuff I've seen, I don't trust anyone else at the bank. They say they're a "flat organization" but that's not really true - there's still a class system in the ranks. This has only gotten worse as the company has grown.

When all is said and done, it's still a bank. Better than BofA or Wells, but maybe a bank is a bank.

Advice to Management

Please try to ferret out where things are not being done in accordance with how you preach for things to be done and people to be treated. Have more skip-levels and invite honesty with anonymity.

Great employees to work with but lots of politics with upper management.

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time

Pros

Friendly and down to earth co-workers. Less red tape, easier to get processes moving since the bank is still fairly small for the amount of business they generate.

Cons

Lots of kissing up to upper management. You are constantly being watched and judged whether you know it or not. Employees do at least double the work but do not necessarily get paid for it compared to other banks. Technology is getting better but still lags behind some competitors.

Advice to Management

FRB has had a reputation of being a small private bank that values each employee. This is becoming less and less apparent as the bank is grows.

There are newer employer reviews for First Republic (CA)