There are newer employer reviews for First Republic (CA)

A good place to work, plenty of room for growth.

Former Employee - Collateral Specialist in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Collateral Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at First Republic (CA) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company supports it's employees very well. During the time I was at this company every issue I took to managers and the HR team was dealt with care and diligence. The working environment is up beat and invigorating. As far as benefits, for the time I was there, salaries were competitive, time-off standard and the perks kept getting better and better (in house cafe, commuter program, etc.)

Cons

During my time I saw many instances of nepotism. Family members and friends seemed to race from intern to loan officer amazingly quickly.

reviews filtered by

Mismanagement of employees

Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company subsidized cafe. Depending on the team, friendly co-workers

Cons

IT is considered as a cost center and there is no a center for innovation. When you point this out to the management , they just keep procrastinating for updating technologies. The goals are always cutting cost. Every 6 months there is a re-org and email sent out to employees to quit at will with a 1 month salary as bonus. There are no long term goals or strategy for the dept. The Director of Enterprise Architecture interviews new employees and then never has time to meet/greet/and discuss what the new hires goals and objectives are for the company. He will meet you again on your last day.

There is no work life balance AT ALL for new hires. If you object, raise a question you will be gone soon.

They keep saying we are in a technical debt but they have 50+ applications which even the IT dept doesn't support and know off. Whoever has the money gets what they want without consulting anyone.

Advice to Management

The Management needs to change and be present for their employees. Set some department and employee level goals.

Nepotism = Unqualified

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at First Republic (CA) full-time

Pros

Base salary and bonus opportunity are decent. Locations can be awesome depending on which office you work from. The CEO Jim Herbert is well-respected. If you're looking for a 9-5 job that won't be too challenging, this could be the place for you.

Cons

NEPOTISM: Many unqualified people here got internships, vendor contracts, even VP titles because of who they know or are related to.
    COMPLACENCY: Everyone around here has rose colored glasses, just assumes the best way to success is to stay exactly the same. Few people take any initiative to do new things to stir things up or take this company to the next level

Advice to Management

1.) Start hiring qualified people, not just your best friend's wife/daughter/nephew/etc. 2.) Offer better benefits. The best and the brightest talent require more than a paycheck. We want flexible work schedules, community giving programs, tuition reimbursement, and more. 3.) Understand that there are a lot of lazy people in the ranks who have no desire to take initiative to take this business to the next level.