FirstCare Health Plans

www.firstcare.com
There are newer employer reviews for FirstCare Health Plans

Great Place to Work

I have been working at FirstCare Health Plans

Pros

Great People, Great Teams, wonderful experience

Cons

Can have disorder at times, lots of change going on.

29 Other Employee Reviews for FirstCare Health Plans (View Most Recent)

Laid back work environment and friendly co-workers

Current Employee - COB Department in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - COB Department in Austin, TX

I have been working at FirstCare Health Plans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a relatively small company, so you get to know alot of the people you work around. The pay is pretty good considering the kind of work you do. The medical benefits are very good. Everyone in the building is very nice and there is ALOT of teamwork on projects. Usually about once a month, there is some kind of get-together for employees in the building with food and beverages provided.

Cons

Communication is a little rough. Sometimes it's hard to understand what another department is asking of you. The work gets to be very repetitive, and you sit for long hours at a time. HR is very friendly, but sometimes they are rather slow at getting back with you about questions and they take a little while to process paperwork sometimes without a few reminders from you.

Like they fact that there are all employee meetings on occasion to update everyone about the progress of the company. Try and get employees more excited about their work, small department meetings don't carry much enthusiasm at all. Communicate to other departments better so the same work doesn't come back as a result of mis-communication

Worst Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at FirstCare Health Plans as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

There are a very select group of people there that can be trusted and that will not call you stupid for asking a question about how to process a claim. I can think of about 3 out of the entire claims department that I could actually go to and feel confidant that I would not be talked about when I left the room.

Cons

Management doesn't have any control over what is going on. There is no real management established in the claims department. Lack of communication: no one listens to anything anyone else has to say; when someone brings good ideas or valid concerns to the table, they are often written off as "stupid" or not addressed at all. Not a productive environment: no awards for good, hard work; no room for moving up; lots of audits and no warnings if you have messed up, you will simply be fired. This is the worst company I have ever worked for. I attempted to ask questions to my team lead regarding the proper way to process claims and often times I could hear her laughing at my question stating, "this is a stupid question". Supervisor and Team lead could be heard speaking about other staff members and their performance in a negative maner in front of other people that had no business knowing that information. I was embarrassed by my supervisor in front of the entire claims department on multiple occasions by being put on the spot about a question I had sent in an e-mail earlier in the week. Non-management individuals in the company were referred to as the "lower people" in the company and the "lower people" needed to communicate better with the "higher up people" so that the communication could be better. There was a complete lack of discipline, respect, and communication within this company. This company is a complete mess and I would highly recommend not getting involved with it in any way, shape or form. I often felt as if I was being singled out and I am glad that I left when I did. Management often is texting or talking to other people in meetings instead of listening to valid questions, everyone seems to just argue most of the time, and the staff gets blamed for the lack of production. They fire the temps that have good ideas and ways to improve the claims processing guidelines instead of listening to them and providing them with adequate training that they have asked for on multiple occasions; they then bring in new temps, give them a week long training session, do not explain anything, and get frustrated when they do not know what they are doing. Told us that they were going to hire 10-12 full time employees after the New Year and only hired 5 full time employees. Once again, there is no communication. No one knows what is going on in this place or what the correct procedures are. Everyone likes to blame someone else for the issue at hand instead of getting to the root of the problem.

Listen to the ideas the analyst have to offer. Improve your communication skills: listen to all questions that everyone asks, do not tell anyone that any questions are stupid, be more approchable. Award positive work. Allow for room to move up in the work place. Do not talk during meetings. Have more of a leadership role instead of a friendship role. Do not talk about other analysts with workplace friends, that is not appropriate. If someone is not doing something correctly, approach them and ask them to correct it, or teach them how to do it correctly. Provide training for the analysts when they ask for it. Stop blaming others for the problem and work out the issue directly, it will increase your production.

There are newer employer reviews for FirstCare Health Plans