There are newer employer reviews for FirstEnergy

FirstEnergy - overall not a bad place to be

Former Employee - IT Systems Operation Specialist in Akron, OH
Former Employee - IT Systems Operation Specialist in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy

Pros

It's a large company, so plenty of other departments, managers, locations to go if you don't like your current manager, position, or location. The compensation is good compared to jobs in smaller companies. (Not sure how it rates compared to other large companies.) Benefits are excellent compared to most companies I'm familiar with, other than exceptions such as Google.

Cons

The typical ones found in a large company: bureaucracy, sometimes stifling. However, this varies a lot based on your manager, department, position, and reputation.

None.

108 Other Employee Reviews for FirstEnergy (View Most Recent)

Hope for Perry after two consecutive INPO 4 reviews?

Current Employee - Instrumentation and Controls Technician in Perry, OH
    Current Employee - Instrumentation and Controls Technician in Perry, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

Best salaries in the immediate area. Opportunity to transfer to positions at other plants within the holding company for career advancement, if you are willing to move.

Cons

Far too cost conscious... saving pennies results in costing millions at Perry. After 25 years of neglect, there are finally signs of funding being released to upgrade and maintain major equipment, but there are already signs of backing off. Two straight INPO 4 ratings seemed to shake things up in Akron (Corp headquarters), I HOPE they don't go back to "business as usual".

Don't cut back on the spending for the needed equipment upgrades... we have the oldest junk equipment in the industry. Most plants replaced the stuff we are relying on 10 - 15 years ago. We're running on duct tape and a prayer.

Good benefits, choose your manager carefully

Current Employee - IT BUS Specialist in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - IT BUS Specialist in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

Excellent benefits package - 401K, Pension, Insurance, Time Off

Cons

Old school mentality, can be a Good Ol' Boys network, expect long hours. Your work environment is very dependent on your reporting structure

Consistency across managers and an environment where promotions and praise are based on work rather than relationships would go a long way.

There are newer employer reviews for FirstEnergy