There are newer employer reviews for FirstEnergy

Hope for Perry after two consecutive INPO 4 reviews?

Current Employee - Instrumentation and Controls Technician  in  Perry, OH
Current Employee - Instrumentation and Controls Technician in Perry, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

Best salaries in the immediate area. Opportunity to transfer to positions at other plants within the holding company for career advancement, if you are willing to move.

Cons

Far too cost conscious... saving pennies results in costing millions at Perry. After 25 years of neglect, there are finally signs of funding being released to upgrade and maintain major equipment, but there are already signs of backing off. Two straight INPO 4 ratings seemed to shake things up in Akron (Corp headquarters), I HOPE they don't go back to "business as usual".

Don't cut back on the spending for the needed equipment upgrades... we have the oldest junk equipment in the industry. Most plants replaced the stuff we are relying on 10 - 15 years ago. We're running on duct tape and a prayer.

107 Other Employee Reviews for FirstEnergy (View Most Recent)

Good benefits, choose your manager carefully

Current Employee - IT BUS Specialist  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - IT BUS Specialist in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

Excellent benefits package - 401K, Pension, Insurance, Time Off

Cons

Old school mentality, can be a Good Ol' Boys network, expect long hours. Your work environment is very dependent on your reporting structure

Consistency across managers and an environment where promotions and praise are based on work rather than relationships would go a long way.

FirstEnergy is a good place to work, but is not without its flaws.

Current Employee - IT Systems Operations Specialist  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - IT Systems Operations Specialist in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

Excellent benefits include 401(k) with employer matching (up to 6 percent). Additional 6% employer matching based on corporate objectives. There are many great opportunities for advancement. Because this company has had deficiencies in certain areas in the past that have had a major negative impact, it has worked hard to turn its image around. FirstEnergy now is beginning to be a leader in corporate implementation of Information Technologies. There are other areas that were turned around in a similar manner. Opportunities exist all over FirstEnergy.

Cons

Sometimes too structured. Separation of duties makes it difficult to get access to resources (access to systems and facilities).

Make it easier to gain access to required resources.

There are newer employer reviews for FirstEnergy

Worked for FirstEnergy? Contribute to the Community!