FirstEnergy

Overall Good Place

Current Employee - Representative in Akron, OH
Current Employee - Representative in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

The pay at FirstEnergy is more than other area companies. Employees are encouraged to "move up the ladder" through promotions and lateral moves, which is very appealing to a younger audience. Feedback on job performance is thorough and is given at least twice a year. Overall, its a good place to start or develop a career.

Cons

Parking is limited at the Corporate Office (although steps have been taken recently to improve). Management tends to have an "alarmist" viewpoint. Even though goals are met and even exceeded, they will paint a gloomy picture.

I would recommend that Senior Management be more open with employees and communicate honestly with them. Sometimes, I can't help but feel that they are not telling the truth.

113 Other Employee Reviews for FirstEnergy (View Most Recent)

FirstEnergy - overall not a bad place to be

Former Employee - IT Systems Operation Specialist in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - IT Systems Operation Specialist in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy

Pros

It's a large company, so plenty of other departments, managers, locations to go if you don't like your current manager, position, or location. The compensation is good compared to jobs in smaller companies. (Not sure how it rates compared to other large companies.) Benefits are excellent compared to most companies I'm familiar with, other than exceptions such as Google.

Cons

The typical ones found in a large company: bureaucracy, sometimes stifling. However, this varies a lot based on your manager, department, position, and reputation.

None.

Hope for Perry after two consecutive INPO 4 reviews?

Current Employee - Instrumentation and Controls Technician in Perry, OH
    Current Employee - Instrumentation and Controls Technician in Perry, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

Best salaries in the immediate area. Opportunity to transfer to positions at other plants within the holding company for career advancement, if you are willing to move.

Cons

Far too cost conscious... saving pennies results in costing millions at Perry. After 25 years of neglect, there are finally signs of funding being released to upgrade and maintain major equipment, but there are already signs of backing off. Two straight INPO 4 ratings seemed to shake things up in Akron (Corp headquarters), I HOPE they don't go back to "business as usual".

Don't cut back on the spending for the needed equipment upgrades... we have the oldest junk equipment in the industry. Most plants replaced the stuff we are relying on 10 - 15 years ago. We're running on duct tape and a prayer.

There are newer employer reviews for FirstEnergy