Be careful!

Former Employee - Recruiter in Akron, OH
Former Employee - Recruiter in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy

Pros

A lot of training opportunties.

Cons

Never had time for training. No work/life balance. Turnover rate was in the high double digits and management kept blaming the people leaving! No autonomy to make your own decisons about what would be strategic or good for the business, majority of decisions were based on political outcomes.

Advice to Management

Consider why turnover is so high? How can you fix it and keep high performers?

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Overall Good Place

Current Employee - Representative in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Representative in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

The pay at FirstEnergy is more than other area companies. Employees are encouraged to "move up the ladder" through promotions and lateral moves, which is very appealing to a younger audience. Feedback on job performance is thorough and is given at least twice a year. Overall, its a good place to start or develop a career.

Cons

Parking is limited at the Corporate Office (although steps have been taken recently to improve). Management tends to have an "alarmist" viewpoint. Even though goals are met and even exceeded, they will paint a gloomy picture.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that Senior Management be more open with employees and communicate honestly with them. Sometimes, I can't help but feel that they are not telling the truth.

Hope for Perry after two consecutive INPO 4 reviews?

Current Employee - Instrumentation and Controls Technician in Perry, OH
    Current Employee - Instrumentation and Controls Technician in Perry, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

Best salaries in the immediate area. Opportunity to transfer to positions at other plants within the holding company for career advancement, if you are willing to move.

Cons

Far too cost conscious... saving pennies results in costing millions at Perry. After 25 years of neglect, there are finally signs of funding being released to upgrade and maintain major equipment, but there are already signs of backing off. Two straight INPO 4 ratings seemed to shake things up in Akron (Corp headquarters), I HOPE they don't go back to "business as usual".

Advice to Management

Don't cut back on the spending for the needed equipment upgrades... we have the oldest junk equipment in the industry. Most plants replaced the stuff we are relying on 10 - 15 years ago. We're running on duct tape and a prayer.