FirstEnergy

www.firstenergycorp.com
  www.firstenergycorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for FirstEnergy

An okay job...if you're the right kind of person

Former Employee - Customer Service
Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at FirstEnergy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Offered good pay compared to other call centers in the area.
Extensive training program offered for preparation.
Opportunity for overtime, if that's what you're interested in.
Decent sized cubicle and working area in a nice building.

Cons

Management seems to act like they care about you, but they really care about your numbers and how much overtime you could work. My training class was basically told some OT was expected and by the end of training it was made crystal clear that you would be reprimanded for not doing voluntary OT. Supervisors even told us that upon taking sick days, they would come to our home to see if we're really sick- and not just jokingly.

While the training is long and extensive, there is a lot to learn. While still in training, our class was forced to get on the phones only knowing the basics. Of course, this was with no warning, unless you count 10 minutes in advance a "warning". This made everyone in the class severely stressed out. I feel as though our customers paid for it because we were all so unprepared. We basically got yelled at until we could transfer customers to someone who could help them, which made them even more angry.

Everyone starts out with a temp agency, and it does not go unnoticed. It's natural that you'd get no benefits from being a contractor, but there were absolutely NO sick days or any exceptions, and wouldn't be until you got hired as a permanent employee, which could take up to a year.

Additionally, I felt hazed as I had to trudge across the parking lot that was sectioned away from the main building. Although there was plenty of parking in the main lot, we were forced to park a fair distance away, dealing with all sorts of weather... especially the extreme cold. I see no reason for this when there is adequate parking, which was their excuse for why it had to be that way.

Our class was constantly told of how "smart" we were, but if there was a behavior problem with one or two people, the class was reprimanded as a whole. It was not just a stern talking to, but kind of degrading. There was a constant tone of "you are so smart, but because you parked in the wrong lot, you're worthless." It was really upsetting to feel so small and so worthless for something I didn't even have a part in.

Make employees more than just a number. Understand that we may need to take a day, even if we're contracted employees. We needed more time to prepare before taking calls. Book learning is fine, but some more side by side training should be done. We already know that we're contracted employees, we don't need reminded with heartless reprimanding and hazing. Also, I think there is something to be said for the fact that over 60% of the class resigned over the course of the training. You called our class "smart," maybe that's why we all left.

113 Other Employee Reviews for FirstEnergy (View Most Recent)

Dream Killer

Current Employee - Senior Distribution Specialist in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Distribution Specialist in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*Stable Job *Overtime Pay *Some good employees still employed

Cons

*Corporate mentality *Employee unfriedly *Money above ethics *Ohio based favortism

Decent Company to work for, great benefits

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, Great pay. Atmosphere is relatively good. I worked in the new west akron campus building. Nice people to work with. Had a fitness area on-site. They hire a lot of interns so it is a good place to get in the door. They will definitively give you a lot of work to do.

Cons

Not everyone gets equal opportunity towards training. Expected to learn on the job and master it on your own when you have never done a certain skill set before. Not everyone who is a team lead or manager has the time to do proper training because they are spread so thin with their time. Ability to be promoted requires you to sell your sole. If you aren't a kiss ass who likes to constantly work past a standard 40 hour shift, you get bypassed. promotions come from senior level management who don't know you. If you are a programmer or have a position that is tough to hire someone, then you get better treatment, but if you are in a position that has lots of options, then you are seen as expendable.

enact an appropriate advancement program so that people are not constantly passed over for new opportunities or advancement. Just because they aren't the best looking or most well versed in speaking, they are still a valid asset to the company and deserve to be rewarded for their hard work. And just because someone isn't selling their sole to the company doesn't mean they don't care or put in just as much valid work during their 40 hours. Invest in family time and maybe you will get more people who don't mind coming to work. It creates a better atmosphere when you feel appreciated.

There are newer employer reviews for FirstEnergy