FirstEnergy

www.firstenergycorp.com
  www.firstenergycorp.com
There are newer employer reviews for FirstEnergy

An okay job...if you're the right kind of person

Former Employee - Customer Service
Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at FirstEnergy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Offered good pay compared to other call centers in the area.
Extensive training program offered for preparation.
Opportunity for overtime, if that's what you're interested in.
Decent sized cubicle and working area in a nice building.

Cons

Management seems to act like they care about you, but they really care about your numbers and how much overtime you could work. My training class was basically told some OT was expected and by the end of training it was made crystal clear that you would be reprimanded for not doing voluntary OT. Supervisors even told us that upon taking sick days, they would come to our home to see if we're really sick- and not just jokingly.

While the training is long and extensive, there is a lot to learn. While still in training, our class was forced to get on the phones only knowing the basics. Of course, this was with no warning, unless you count 10 minutes in advance a "warning". This made everyone in the class severely stressed out. I feel as though our customers paid for it because we were all so unprepared. We basically got yelled at until we could transfer customers to someone who could help them, which made them even more angry.

Everyone starts out with a temp agency, and it does not go unnoticed. It's natural that you'd get no benefits from being a contractor, but there were absolutely NO sick days or any exceptions, and wouldn't be until you got hired as a permanent employee, which could take up to a year.

Additionally, I felt hazed as I had to trudge across the parking lot that was sectioned away from the main building. Although there was plenty of parking in the main lot, we were forced to park a fair distance away, dealing with all sorts of weather... especially the extreme cold. I see no reason for this when there is adequate parking, which was their excuse for why it had to be that way.

Our class was constantly told of how "smart" we were, but if there was a behavior problem with one or two people, the class was reprimanded as a whole. It was not just a stern talking to, but kind of degrading. There was a constant tone of "you are so smart, but because you parked in the wrong lot, you're worthless." It was really upsetting to feel so small and so worthless for something I didn't even have a part in.

Make employees more than just a number. Understand that we may need to take a day, even if we're contracted employees. We needed more time to prepare before taking calls. Book learning is fine, but some more side by side training should be done. We already know that we're contracted employees, we don't need reminded with heartless reprimanding and hazing. Also, I think there is something to be said for the fact that over 60% of the class resigned over the course of the training. You called our class "smart," maybe that's why we all left.

110 Other Employee Reviews for FirstEnergy (View Most Recent)

Contractors are slaves

Current Employee - Customer Service in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is good
    The hours of operation is okay if you live in Akron

Cons

Everyone starts out as a contractor and it is known what you are. You start out as "red" and they make it will known that you are nothing. You have to fight for days off or even a few hours off if you have an appointment. When you ask for a few hours off they say well can't you reschedule it for earlier? That would be okay if you live in Akron but if you don't it's hard to s schedule appointments. The training was rushed and you are talked down to if you ask a question. If you miss a day you are getting a rude call from your agency saying if you miss again your contract could be terminated. That scares you into coming in sick and ruining your stats because you're too sick to function. The way they treat contractors is disgusting

Stop treating contractors so bad and maybe we would stay and you would not have to keep doing New hire classes

Dream Killer

Current Employee - Senior Distribution Specialist in Morristown, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Distribution Specialist in Morristown, NJ

I have been working at FirstEnergy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

*Stable Job *Overtime Pay *Some good employees still employed

Cons

*Corporate mentality *Employee unfriedly *Money above ethics *Ohio based favortism

There are newer employer reviews for FirstEnergy