FirstEnergy

FirstEnergy - a good place to be FROM

Current Employee - Nuclear Technician in Perry, OH
Current Employee - Nuclear Technician in Perry, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

Best salaries in the NE Ohio area; some very good people to work with; my superintendent is one of the best people-persons I have ever worked for.

Cons

Corporate management just doesn't get it... you can't run a plant for 25 years without spending money replacing broken equipment... duct tape and band-aides will only get you so far. They think INPO is too stupid to figure out that they won't spend the money to fix issues INPO recommends working on until a month before INPO comes back. Gee... do you think they will notice? INPO 4 two evaluations running... can we set another record and make it 3 in a row?

Quit acting like you are responding and change the corporate mindset of cheap, cheap, cheap! People are quiting this company because they are tired of being ignored when they do what you say you want... identiying issues that need to be fixed. Instead of fixing the problems, you talk about it in a meeting, then approve the funding... only to pull the monies before the project gets scheduled to save money. Who do you think you are fooling? If the stockholders are that stupid... let them invest somewhere else. There are utility companies all over the country in better shape financially, and spending plenty of money on upgrades and employee salaries... what exactly are you benchmarking? Corporate parachutes?

113 Other Employee Reviews for FirstEnergy (View Most Recent)

Be careful!

Former Employee - Recruiter in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstEnergy

Pros

A lot of training opportunties.

Cons

Never had time for training. No work/life balance. Turnover rate was in the high double digits and management kept blaming the people leaving! No autonomy to make your own decisons about what would be strategic or good for the business, majority of decisions were based on political outcomes.

Consider why turnover is so high? How can you fix it and keep high performers?

Overall Good Place

Current Employee - Representative in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Representative in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstEnergy

Pros

The pay at FirstEnergy is more than other area companies. Employees are encouraged to "move up the ladder" through promotions and lateral moves, which is very appealing to a younger audience. Feedback on job performance is thorough and is given at least twice a year. Overall, its a good place to start or develop a career.

Cons

Parking is limited at the Corporate Office (although steps have been taken recently to improve). Management tends to have an "alarmist" viewpoint. Even though goals are met and even exceeded, they will paint a gloomy picture.

I would recommend that Senior Management be more open with employees and communicate honestly with them. Sometimes, I can't help but feel that they are not telling the truth.

There are newer employer reviews for FirstEnergy