There are newer employer reviews for FirstMerit

I love my job and my employer, I've never been happier at work

Current Employee - Senior Banking Assistant in Cleveland, OH
Current Employee - Senior Banking Assistant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers are spectacular, they have a knack for hiring just the right people for the job.

Cons

We have a tendency to get wrapped up in the process and procedure rather than the customer experience, it can be hard to convince a customer that we are the best bank to work with when we can't get out of our own way sometimes.

Advice to Management

Continue to take notice of the employees who do a good job, a little recognition can go a long way in employee retention. A happy employee will lead to happy customers.

Other Employee Reviews for FirstMerit

Sold Credit Card Processing

Former Employee - Commercial Bankcard Consultant in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Commercial Bankcard Consultant in Akron, OH

Pros

Originally, this was an excellent company - we had a very local focus, and made sure we always put the customers first. After new management bought several branches in Chicago, a slide began away from that.

Cons

Originally, this was an excellent company - we had a very local focus, and made sure we always put the customers first. After new management bought several branches in Chicago, a slide began away from that - there was much more of a bottom line drive than there had been previously.

2. A low pressure environment that is heavy in customer service.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Pros

First Merit offers a training course and is a nice low pressure environment to work at if that is what you are looking for.

Cons

Software is a bit obsolete. Very high amount of turnover coupled with poor transparency some members of the management can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

While my employment was an overall pleasant experience, I greatly would have appriciated more transparency in regards to my job and what plans were laid for me.