FirstMerit

www.firstmerit.com
  www.firstmerit.com
There are newer employer reviews for FirstMerit

FirstMerit is a conserative bank

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smaller bank know the people you are working with and get to know backroom. Great employees

Cons

Decision making can be painfully slow.

Streamline operations and have consistant procedures. Timely updates of changes to all staff. Departments can become islands need to work together and update each other.

40 Other Employee Reviews for FirstMerit (View Most Recent)

The grass may look greener, until you get close enough to see...

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time

Pros

full time, pleasant co-workers, weekly to bi-weekly updates on personal stats

Cons

non-flexible schedule, stronger focus on stats than customer service

-I wish upper management would realize that we are still a local (midsized) bank that does not provide big bank amenities, so we need to rely on providing great customer service. There is a strong focus on meeting strict stat requirements and what I feel is rushing a customer off of the phone than truly providing the great customer service that the customer needs. Many times, this results in customer call backs that ultimately hurt the call center's overall numbers.
    -I wish management would have some form of interest in keeping employees satisfied. Many problems come within scheduling. There is little to no interest in accommodating individuals with priorities outside of FirstMerit. Do not view this as a rant, but useful knowledge for individuals looking to apply for an inbound customer service rep at FirstMerit. If you wish to go to college, or have medical needs, or family needs, you will be told that FirstMerit is to come first and that you are to schedule you're other needs around FirstMerit.

Qualifications won't do anything for you if Management doesn't love you

Former Employee - Teller Supervisor/CRSIII
    Former Employee - Teller Supervisor/CRSIII

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work schedule
    Flexible PTO
    HR holds people responsible even if upper Management doesn't

Cons

-Pay is far below industry standard
    -No matter how well you perform at your job, you'll be pushed out if your District Manager doesn't like you
    -Incredibly difficult to learn across departments; no mentoring
    -Uniforms make you look like a Catholic schoolboy
    -Ultra-conservative policies and outdated systems make servicing customers efficiently challenging
    -Employees are expected to go above and beyond every single day, but the company holds no loyalty to its own employees.

Treat your employees like qualified professionals, not poorly-paid mercenaries to use and abuse.

There are newer employer reviews for FirstMerit