There are newer employer reviews for FirstMerit

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Vice President  in  Akron, OH
Current Employee - Vice President in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Compensation
Location
People
Training
Benefits
Ability to get the job done

Cons

Merger issues
Growth Issues
Management Changes, Employee turnover

Reduce Management Changes

35 Other Employee Reviews for FirstMerit (View Most Recent)

Fast-paced and stressful

Former Employee - Teller  in  Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Teller in Akron, OH

I worked at FirstMerit full-time for more than a year

Pros

No sales quota, opportunities for career advancement, decent pay, works with students schedules. The ability to pick up more hours and work overtime was a huge plus. I went to many different branches to help out whomever was short staffed.

Cons

no job security and horrible loss prevention. They do not adequately train anyone with the exception of the personal bankers about First Merit products aside from checking accounts. Until I left to go to another bank did I realize how far behind First Merit is in product knowledge. As a teller at a competing bank, I know everything from our checking/savings accounts, to our lines of credit, investments and business cash flows.

Stop making your employees work off the clock. You cut the ABM's out of a job to save expenses yet bought out other branches for expansion. The job duties of an ABM were so extensive that you should have cut the bankers before the Assistant Brand Managers and trained them to open accounts and close loans.

look elsewhere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

In the past there were opportunities for advancement, decent health care and a pension plan, average 401k match. With each "growth" the bank has they cut something else from regular employees.

Cons

If you are your supervisors best friend, go out and party with them you can be recognized, get promoted!

Have outside reviews of employee performance, you can coach me but it is not fair that I can't get ahead or get a good review because you sweep your best friends mistakes under the carpet and high light others.

There are newer employer reviews for FirstMerit

Worked for FirstMerit? Contribute to the Community!