Working at a Neighborhood Bank

Former Employee - Back Up Teller  in  Cleveland, OH
Former Employee - Back Up Teller in Cleveland, OH

I worked at FirstMerit

Pros

Employees are nice, they treat you with respect and make you feel a part of the team. Great place to work.

Cons

First Merit bank is a small neighborhood bank. There is not a lot of opportunity to move up in the corporation unless you live in Akron. People dont tend to leave their positions there to allow new openings

I like how the management throughout the corporation make you feel special. They are there to help build you and make their team stronger.

Other Reviews for FirstMerit

FirstMerit is a conserative bank

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Smaller bank know the people you are working with and get to know backroom. Great employees

Cons

Decision making can be painfully slow.

Streamline operations and have consistant procedures. Timely updates of changes to all staff. Departments can become islands need to work together and update each other.

The grass may look greener, until you get close enough to see...

Current Employee - Customer Service
    Current Employee - Customer Service

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time

Pros

full time, pleasant co-workers, weekly to bi-weekly updates on personal stats

Cons

non-flexible schedule, stronger focus on stats than customer service

-I wish upper management would realize that we are still a local (midsized) bank that does not provide big bank amenities, so we need to rely on providing great customer service. There is a strong focus on meeting strict stat requirements and what I feel is rushing a customer off of the phone than truly providing the great customer service that the customer needs. Many times, this results in customer call backs that ultimately hurt the call center's overall numbers.
    -I wish management would have some form of interest in keeping employees satisfied. Many problems come within scheduling. There is little to no interest in accommodating individuals with priorities outside of FirstMerit. Do not view this as a rant, but useful knowledge for individuals looking to apply for an inbound customer service rep at FirstMerit. If you wish to go to college, or have medical needs, or family needs, you will be told that FirstMerit is to come first and that you are to schedule you're other needs around FirstMerit.

There are newer employer reviews for FirstMerit.

Worked for FirstMerit? Contribute to the Community!