Apathy and anti-intellectualism

Current Intern - Intern in Troy, MI
Current Intern - Intern in Troy, MI

I have been working at Fiserv as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance
Flex hours
Very clean and quiet atmosphere
Free coffee?

Cons

The corporate culture is one of apathy and anti-intellectualism. Requesting simple things from fellow employees is always met with resistance. Simple tasks, which should take minutes, end up consuming hours or days of your time, because no one is willing to go out of their way to make any one else's lives better.

If you try to push for innovation, you're met with hostility. This is a stagnant company and it's no wonder it is falling off the Fortune 500 list.

They are a tech company, yet we're still using PCs that take 20 minutes to boot into Windows. This is wasted time, and time is money.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your dead weight. Employees are rewarded not for how well they perform, but how long they have leeched off of the company.

reviews filtered by

Don't believe any good reviews!!

Current Employee - Implementations Project Manager in Morris Plains, NJ
    Current Employee - Implementations Project Manager in Morris Plains, NJ

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of really great, knowledgeable, hard working people. And with the current state of the economy, we are very lucky to still have a lot of work and the company is profitable.

Cons

WAY too many to list. The biggest being the abhorrent abuse of employees by the company. Any semblance of work/life balance was dissolved YEARS ago. We are totally being taken advantage of because senior management knows the job market is difficult, and most people won't leave when they have families to take care of, mortgages, day care costs, etc. You are expected to work well over 40 hours a week. If you remotely express concerns of stress or having more work than you can really handle, the first thing that is brought up is how many hours you work. If you work "only" 40, or even 45 hours, you get scolded and dismissed.

I have been with the company many years, and it's mainly because there aren't any real job opportunities available now that I continue working here. Although I really do enjoy working with a majority of my co-workers. But we all discuss, openly, at how much we dislike the company. We even say it directly to our managers. And our managers tell us how much they hate working here as well.

The conditions are so bad, more and more employees are now taking anti-anxiety medication to get through the days. I being one of those people. In my team, a good 60 percent of employees are currently, or were previously, on some sort of medication to get through the days.

Do not believe any of the positive reviews of working for this company. They are plants from senior management in corporate, or may be even written by them. And of course senior management would love the company when they are making millions of dollars per year while everyone else is struggling.

Advice to Management

Honestly there isn't any advice to give. With all the "surveys" throughout the years asking for employee feedback going unheard, why bother giving you any advice. You just all do what you want anyway, without regard for the people that work for you.

Apply yourself, the experience is what you make of it

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, flex schedule, management that communicates expectations clearly and directly. Pay is above average (although not by much) but considering this economy I think that is a positive aspect of this job. Network and make nice with people, it will help you for upward career movement. Take initiative -- it won't go unnoticed.

Cons

Some high -turn over due to the nature of our work. Seasonality of research means some times can be stressful. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask for help or tell them that your workload it too high.

Advice to Management

Some high turn over. Would have liked to see some quicker turn-around on filling positions -- although I believe thoughtful decisions are worth the wait. I would rather have quality, high-caliber, management in here then someone who just sucks oxygen and doesn't respect lower level employees/