Excellent People, Questionable Structures

I worked at Fiserv full-time

Pros

The co-workers are awesome. Most are more than willing to go the extra mile, and are more often than not highly-competent, passionate, and dedicated to their craft. I haven't met anyone there who wasn't outgoing and friendly. The thrill of ensuring top-notch service to clients in high-priced contracts add to the mix, and hearing their satisfaction at project's end was often similar to a runner's high. I especially loved the fact that, in-office or remotely, people worked in a collegiate fashion. I must also say that collaboration was better than nearly anywhere else I have worked for.

Cons

Lack of any thorough training (one co-worker quit a month in due to such frustrations), you're often 'thrown into the breach' with little preparation. Most of my training came via ad-hoc and on-the-fly research, and from endless questions cast out to higher-ups and peers. Salesmen often promise clients features and benefits that cannot be delivered, and you get to find out about it when the client asks you (often way too late in the project) why feature XYZ hasn't been implemented yet. Sometimes the bureaucracy really gets in the way, especially when it comes to getting needed deliverables from other departments. Deadlines often slip - not due to lack of product being ready, but due to a lack of sufficient environmental readiness.

Advice to Management

Top priorities? Get some decent training in place - few people are going to know these products off-the-street. These are highly complex systems, and some sort of updated and coherent training would be invaluable. Stop relying on senior staff to do all of the training - they're busy enough as it is, and rarely have time to really sit down and lay it all out. I would suggest a stronger mentoring program, where newbies can work alongside experienced hands on a project from start to finish. Find a way to cut down the dreaded inter-departmental SLAs and snag-ups in a meaningful way, instead of just preaching "One Fiserv" in the meetings. Provide a clear and meaningful formula for bonuses, and not just vague factors which no one outside of management would hope to have a grasp of.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Could be a good place to work

Former Employee - Technology in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Technology in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Fiserv full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a good work from home policy that is flexible which results in a good work life balance. The investment services business is small enough that you will get exposure to many of the management team. The associates on the whole are good folks.

Cons

The time off in the form of PTO is not good as it includes holidays and sick time. Health insurance is marginal at best. The management team is risk adverse which tends to make everyone conservative,.

Advice to Management

Get a new team.

2. Great Company to work for

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President Desktop Services in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President Desktop Services in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fiserv full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Generally a supportive managerial structure combined with a non micromanaged environment allows you to do your job efficiently.

Cons

With the retirement of the founder a few years ago, the new CEO has been determined to force a big corporate feel company wide which is not what the approach was prior. In my opinion it has taken a lot away from what made Fiserv Fi\serv.

Advice to Management

Keep plugin and chuggin.