Fiserv

www.fiserv.com

Excellent People, Questionable Structures

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe co-workers are awesome. Most are more than willing to go the extra mile, and are more often than not highly-competent, passionate, and dedicated to their craft. I haven't met anyone there who wasn't outgoing and friendly. The thrill of ensuring top-notch service to clients in high-priced contracts add to the mix, and hearing their satisfaction at project's end was often similar to a runner's high.

I especially loved the fact that, in-office or remotely, people worked in a collegiate fashion. I must also say that collaboration was better than nearly anywhere else I have worked for.

ConsLack of any thorough training (one co-worker quit a month in due to such frustrations), you're often 'thrown into the breach' with little preparation. Most of my training came via ad-hoc and on-the-fly research, and from endless questions cast out to higher-ups and peers.

Salesmen often promise clients features and benefits that cannot be delivered, and you get to find out about it when the client asks you (often way too late in the project) why feature XYZ hasn't been implemented yet. Sometimes the bureaucracy really gets in the way, especially when it comes to getting needed deliverables from other departments. Deadlines often slip - not due to lack of product being ready, but due to a lack of sufficient environmental readiness.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop priorities? Get some decent training in place - few people are going to know these products off-the-street. These are highly complex systems, and some sort of updated and coherent training would be invaluable. Stop relying on senior staff to do all of the training - they're busy enough as it is, and rarely have time to really sit down and lay it all out. I would suggest a stronger mentoring program, where newbies can work alongside experienced hands on a project from start to finish.

Find a way to cut down the dreaded inter-departmental SLAs and snag-ups in a meaningful way, instead of just preaching "One Fiserv" in the meetings.

Provide a clear and meaningful formula for bonuses, and not just vague factors which no one outside of management would hope to have a grasp of.

Frustrating to see so much opportunity and yet so much mis-management...

Senior Program Manager (Former Employee) Corvallis, OR

I worked at Fiserv full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Fortune 500 company Stable paycheck Desire innovation Cons: Tons of infighting High level of political sniping Management via fear and intimidation More… Advice to Senior Management: Read the book from Verne Harnish, "The Rockefeller Habits", and set yearly… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Could be a good place to work

Technology (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Fiserv full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: The company has a good work from home policy that is flexible which results in a good work life balance. The investment… Cons: The time off in the form of PTO is not good as it includes holidays and sick… Advice to Senior Management: Get a new team. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Fiserv.

Worked for Fiserv? Contribute to the Community!