There are newer employer reviews for Fisher Investments

Excellent place to develop a long career

Current Employee - ICTL  in  San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - ICTL in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments

Pros

Fisher offers competitive pay and a place to develop a long-term career. Employees are encouraged to develop themselves professionally by rotating to different areas of the firm if they choose. Alternately, employees can choose to develop depth by becoming specialists in a certain role. Either development model is open--depends on the employees choice. Management is interested getting employees into the right role for them. It's a great, challenging and competitive atmosphere, no two days are ever the same.

Cons

Employees who aren't interested in money management or a competitive workplace may burn out. But that's no different than other finance or money management firms.

Every firm has disgruntled former employees, and a small number of current employees who are disgruntled. That's normal, particularly for a competitive, money management firm. It doesn't mean anything. By and large, from my experience, employees enjoy what they are doing, enjoy their colleages, and enjoy the challenge and opportunity at the firm.

198 Other Employee Reviews for Fisher Investments (View Most Recent)

What's all the complaing about? I think Fisher Investments is a good place to work!

Current Employee - Investment Counselor  in  San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments

Pros

Great group of bright, young movivated people. Good compensation and benefits. A chance to learn a lot in a short period of time. Many people end up working in many different departments to see where they are best suited. Potential for advancement in team leader areas.

Cons

Parking can be a problem, but that is pretty minor. Sometimes employees may feel micromanaged. Now is somewhat of a tough time at Fisher Investments because we didn't get clients out of stocks in this bear market. However, who did? Everyone is working to hold clients hands' through the hard times and make sure they continue to be clients so they can benefit from the next bull market.

Continue to support your employees so they will stay on board for the upcoming market turnaround.

do you hate yourself?

Former Employee - Several  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Several in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

the compensation is competitive on an overall basis (not so great when you consider that you'll work ~15 to 20% more hours than you would elsewhere).

It is a good way to get a taste of the corporate life immediately after college: they'll let you (or force you to) move around the company. This can be good or bad, depending on where you land.

Think about it as boot camp for corporate life: you'll work hard for long hours and gain some valuable experience as a result (as long as you aren't working in departments where you pull levers on FI proprietary technologies all day....in that case, you've gained nothing useful for the real world.)

Cons

The Culture: you will feel like a cog almost every day. In fact, one of the core values of the company is instilling machine like efficiency to every process and role...I'm not joking. Oh yeah, standard 10 hour days beginning at 7am and 50% offsite parking make it that much worse. This will burn you out at some stage.

Management: the absolute worst part of the job is dealing with management. Because of the frequent employee rotations, very often, management will have zero experience in the job function they are leading. I'm talking about sales people leading project managers, client services people leading investment researchers, etc. EVERY manger I interacted with, and there were many, was constantly positioning themselves to their bosses rather than concentrating on doing an adequate job. This was very obvious to every associate level person in the firm and very discouraging to nearly everyone I spoke to about it. I dont blame the managers as much as I blame the system. The politics at FI were far worse than any organization I've been a part of.

keep on jockeying and positioning because you'd never be able to pull off your charade anywhere else besides FI

There are newer employer reviews for Fisher Investments

Worked for Fisher Investments? Contribute to the Community!