Fisher Investments

www.fisherinvestments.com
  www.fisherinvestments.com
There are newer employer reviews for Fisher Investments

You may like it, some love it, I know lots hate it... secretly

Former Employee - Two Roles. . On to Better Things in Foster City, CA
Former Employee - Two Roles. . On to Better Things in Foster City, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

Decent rep in SF area, your in SF, lots of good people, young company, was growing before they blew the last market call.

Cons

Hard to sleep at night selling 65 year olds into all equity portfolios. One asset manager that is not always right but his strategy relies on perfection.

You need more defined career paths and better selection for managerial rotations. Many managers are inexperienced in there current role do to rotations. Need to change approach to furthering education. You do not learn everything you need/should know from Fisher. Time to stop preaching about last job you will ever need... cough... cough...

228 Other Employee Reviews for Fisher Investments (View Most Recent)

do you hate yourself?

Former Employee - Several in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Several in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

the compensation is competitive on an overall basis (not so great when you consider that you'll work ~15 to 20% more hours than you would elsewhere).

It is a good way to get a taste of the corporate life immediately after college: they'll let you (or force you to) move around the company. This can be good or bad, depending on where you land.

Think about it as boot camp for corporate life: you'll work hard for long hours and gain some valuable experience as a result (as long as you aren't working in departments where you pull levers on FI proprietary technologies all day....in that case, you've gained nothing useful for the real world.)

Cons

The Culture: you will feel like a cog almost every day. In fact, one of the core values of the company is instilling machine like efficiency to every process and role...I'm not joking. Oh yeah, standard 10 hour days beginning at 7am and 50% offsite parking make it that much worse. This will burn you out at some stage.

Management: the absolute worst part of the job is dealing with management. Because of the frequent employee rotations, very often, management will have zero experience in the job function they are leading. I'm talking about sales people leading project managers, client services people leading investment researchers, etc. EVERY manger I interacted with, and there were many, was constantly positioning themselves to their bosses rather than concentrating on doing an adequate job. This was very obvious to every associate level person in the firm and very discouraging to nearly everyone I spoke to about it. I dont blame the managers as much as I blame the system. The politics at FI were far worse than any organization I've been a part of.

keep on jockeying and positioning because you'd never be able to pull off your charade anywhere else besides FI

Very unique. Management is very supportive.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments

Pros

I've worked in financial services before at different places, and Fisher is unique in how much they really care about employees and want it to be a place where you have a long career. It seems like the managers are really interested in where you want to go and helping you get there. Also, if you want, you can try different areas. If you really like Sales, for example, you can stay in Sales forever, but if you want to try another area, they'll let you train and rotate so you build a different set of skills. In some sense, its up to you as an employee to set your path, but they support you a lot no matter what you decide.

Cons

To be honest, because I've seen the grass isn't greener, I don't have many complaints

Keep doing what you're doing. One of the best things about this firm is how supportive management is, and I hope that doesn't change

There are newer employer reviews for Fisher Investments