Incredibly Challenging, Incredibly Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fisher offers an environment where you will be challenged and stretched every day. It’s a place where you are constantly being encouraged to reach higher, move faster, think bigger, be bolder, and challenge conventional thinking about business practices and the finance industry. As a result, the company attracts people who are driven, intelligent, and opinionated.

This is not a company for people who want to come to work just to put in their hours, and do the bare minimum for their paycheck. This company is for people who want to make a difference in this industry, and be heard within their organization. If you are someone who has big ideas and strong ideals, and you have the work ethic to match; then you will likely be happy here.

One of my favorite things about the company is the ability to have an impact on how the business is run. If you see something that needs innovation or improvement within the organization, or if you have an idea that could completely alter the way the firm does business; there will always be someone in management that is eager to listen to you. Then, if the idea has promise, there will be someone there to help you develop that idea and get it implemented – IF you’re willing to put the work in to refine your idea and follow it through implementation.

If you have a strong work ethic and the courage to speak your mind, and you have results to show for it, the company will reward you. I’ve been with the company for 2years and 3 months, and I have worked hard and spoken my mind when I thought I could improve something around me. As a result, I’ve been rewarded financially but also with opportunity (three different positions within the firm, in less than three years). It hasn’t been easy. It has been incredibly challenging, but the sense of accomplishment, progress, and upward mobility is more than enough reward to feel fulfilled and respected at the firm.

If you want to come in to shake things up, and do everything you can to move the business forward and stop at nothing to ensure that our clients are getting unparalleled service – then you will enjoy working here, and you will be rewarded for your efforts.

Cons

Commute to the San Mateo and Woodside offices is tough, but the company now has a fully up and running (and growing) presence in the Portland Metro Area office where that isn’t a problem and where cost of living is exponentially better. The offices could use a little sprucing up to add some character.

Advice to Management

As the firm advances and grows, make sure that your ability to effectively communicate with all employees (managers & associates) advances as well.

reviews filtered by

No place for a career. Just a J-O-B. And a bad one at that.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I honestly can't think of any. Some people have listed the pay as good but it's really just on par with the industry, so don't let that be a major motivating factor. Other people have said the people working at FI are young and fun and they've made lots of great friends. Don't let that sway you either. You'll find friends wherever you go. FI isn't some special friend finding place. You end up becoming close to your co-workers mainly through commiserating about your job situation. On second thought, there is a pro for working at FI. When you leave, you will be so grateful and appreciative of your new job, your new company will think you're the happiest person they've ever met.

Cons

There are way too many points to mention in great detail, but here are highlights from my experience at FI:
    - You'll be shuffled around from one position to another, not gaining the so-called "depth" they preach.
    - Your manager will likely be an arrogant 20-something with zero experience. Don't expect to learn anything much.
    - Get used to receiving only negative feedback delivered in the most condescending way. "Thank you" is a difficult phrase for most managers.
    - Prepare to be heavily micro-managed and feeling like a disobedient schoolchild always watching your back.
    - Big brother is always watching. All emails are read. Everyone has extremely limited access to any websites besides Forbes and CNN.
    - FI makes you paranoid as is a lot of secrecy going on. Managers spend the majority of the day whispering in conference rooms. Team members end up feeling excluded and targeted.
    - Teamwork is virtually non-existent. Communication is poor. There is a lot of backstabbing and project stealing. A lot of credit taken away and throwing under buses. Not a supportive, encouraging environment. Everyone is out for themselves as employees are always competing against each other.
    - As much as they tell you FI is a meritocracy, it really isn't. There are plenty of good hard working people who get lost in the shuffle because they don't fit the FI mold for whatever reason.
    - Get used to being overworked. You will be required to work at least 50 hours a week in most departments. 7:00am-5:00pm. Despite the long hours, there is no flexibility whatsoever. Consider yourself lucky if you're let go by 4:15pm on Christmas Eve.
    - After 5 years, you will accrue 20 days of PTO per year. You will never accrue or be gifted any more.
    - There is no tuition reimbursement. Higher education is looked down upon.
    - Don't expect any sort of recognition on your work anniversary. No "congratulations".
    - FI doesn't care about work/life balance. It will be a struggle if you have a family to take care of.
    - Speaking your mind only works if you're telling managers what they want to hear. You run the risk of being blacklisted/"off board" for voicing your opinion.
    - You will succumb to the many levels of bureaucracy. Many are averse to change. Most of my ideas to improve processes were shot down or never followed up on. Becomes so frustrating you just don't bother anymore.
    - Nepotism runs rampant. Good for you if you have a relative or close friend or fraternity brother in management. Or maybe your parents are clients. You will do well.
    - The offices themselves are outdated and cramped with no privacy. The break rooms are uninviting and dirty. I don't even want to get into the bathroom situation. I'm legitimately embarrassed for clients to visit the offices.
    - The San Mateo location has parking problems. Not because of the city itself but because FI gives the other building tenants preferential access to ample parking in the lot. This forces FI employees to park in the furthest spots in the lot or even on the street in 2-hour spots. If you're caught parking in the lot when you're not supposed to, you'll get a ticket and sometimes a talking to by your manager.
    - The Woodside office is depressing. Sure it's nice to go there for a weekend drive but being stuck up on the hill for 5 days a week will make you stir crazy. It is foggy for a good part of the year and the commute can be treacherous.
    - If you're looking for perks, this is the wrong company. FI will only give you the bare bones they are legally obliged to.
    - If you've got an HR complaint, expect for it to be quietly swept under the rug. Their loyalties lie with the company, not you.
    - When you do eventually leave FI, you will be bombarded with resumes from your fellow co-workers who are all of a sudden your new BFF.

- Some of these issues are bigger than others but all things you deserve to be aware of if seeking employment here. As you browse through these reviews, it should be pretty easy to discern reality from puffery and draw your own conclusions. The bottom line: FI doesn't treat its employees well. I have yet to meet a fellow employee who is actually happy working here. This includes managers. Everyone I know feels unappreciated and taken for granted. These sentiments are expressed by new and old employees alike. So don't expect things to get better. There are absolutely no incentives for long-term employees. In fact, you'll be worse off the longer you stay.

Advice to Management

The sad truth is, Management doesn't want any advice. That would mean an admittance of their shortcomings. So really, what's the point? But they should understand this: do we care about FI's Vision & Values? I'd be surprised if employees truly feel valued. Employees are all very aware of the fact they're merely replaceable cogs in the "machine". So until you learn to demonstrate appreciation for what you claim is the firm's greatest asset, then the employees will never have the vision "in their bones".

Treats employees like children; most managers play favorites

Current Employee - Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay is good...depending on what department you're in and who your manager is (base pay low, bonus typically makes up for it...depending on who your manager is and how much he/she likes you, of course.)
    - Medical premiums 100% paid for by company.
    - Competitive 401k match.

Cons

- 10 hour work days
    - Limited internet access, only can see CNN, Wikipedia, and other news sites. Can't even access google.
    - Most managers are clueless and have huge egos.
    - Many managers play favorites. You suck up, you'll be a favorite. You don't? You'll get thrown under the bus. Repeatedly.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your talent pool and see who really is worth keeping. The environment/culture in that company is toxic, and I would never recommend anyone work there. No one I've ever spoken to, current or past employee, has ever had anything good to say about the company.