Incredibly Challenging, Incredibly Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fisher offers an environment where you will be challenged and stretched every day. It’s a place where you are constantly being encouraged to reach higher, move faster, think bigger, be bolder, and challenge conventional thinking about business practices and the finance industry. As a result, the company attracts people who are driven, intelligent, and opinionated. This is not a company for people who want to come to work just to put in their hours, and do the bare minimum for their paycheck. This company is for people who want to make a difference in this industry, and be heard within their organization. If you are someone who has big ideas and strong ideals, and you have the work ethic to match; then you will likely be happy here. One of my favorite things about the company is the ability to have an impact on how the business is run. If you see something that needs innovation or improvement within the organization, or if you have an idea that could completely alter the way the firm does business; there will always be someone in management that is eager to listen to you. Then, if the idea has promise, there will be someone there to help you develop that idea and get it implemented – IF you’re willing to put the work in to refine your idea and follow it through implementation. If you have a strong work ethic and the courage to speak your mind, and you have results to show for it, the company will reward you. I’ve been with the company for 2years and 3 months, and I have worked hard and spoken my mind when I thought I could improve something around me. As a result, I’ve been rewarded financially but also with opportunity (three different positions within the firm, in less than three years). It hasn’t been easy. It has been incredibly challenging, but the sense of accomplishment, progress, and upward mobility is more than enough reward to feel fulfilled and respected at the firm. If you want to come in to shake things up, and do everything you can to move the business forward and stop at nothing to ensure that our clients are getting unparalleled service – then you will enjoy working here, and you will be rewarded for your efforts.

Cons

Commute to the San Mateo and Woodside offices is tough, but the company now has a fully up and running (and growing) presence in the Portland Metro Area office where that isn’t a problem and where cost of living is exponentially better. The offices could use a little sprucing up to add some character.

Advice to Management

As the firm advances and grows, make sure that your ability to effectively communicate with all employees (managers & associates) advances as well.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Treats employees like children; most managers play favorites

Current Employee - Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay is good...depending on what department you're in and who your manager is (base pay low, bonus typically makes up for it...depending on who your manager is and how much he/she likes you, of course.) - Medical premiums 100% paid for by company. - Competitive 401k match.

Cons

- 10 hour work days - Limited internet access, only can see CNN, Wikipedia, and other news sites. Can't even access google. - Most managers are clueless and have huge egos. - Many managers play favorites. You suck up, you'll be a favorite. You don't? You'll get thrown under the bus. Repeatedly.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your talent pool and see who really is worth keeping. The environment/culture in that company is toxic, and I would never recommend anyone work there. No one I've ever spoken to, current or past employee, has ever had anything good to say about the company.

Weak Management. Weak Performance. Culture of Deception and Fear

Current Employee - Management in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation is good, 401(k) match, Insurance Plan paid by company.

Cons

Young, inexperienced, under-qualified management. Most have no experience other than Fisher. A threat to management is anyone with a differing opinion than their own. Because of this, the majority of senior management, is young, not terribly insightful, and is forced out of fear to be yes men. Performance in the last 5 years is nothing short of horrid. Their internal mutual fund is publicly traed and can easily be looked up. Its a 2 star fund (out of 5) on a popular mutual fund rating site. Below average performance with above average risk.

Advice to Management

Dump your senior management. Hire a team that has outside experience for perspective. DON'T, for example, make a 20 something kid with no sales experience senior sales management. Look at some of the people that have been forced out the door because they think differently. Is the poor morale and poor performance just bad luck? Or is it bad management?