A Great Life Choice

Current Employee - Various
Current Employee - Various

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I joined Fisher 11 years ago. I’ve worked in many different capacities and departments and have been given more and more responsibility, more so than I would have received elsewhere. Prior to Fisher I worked for a competitor based in NYC. During my 11 years at Fisher Investments, their AUM has grown ten-fold. I joined FI in my late twenties when I was single, hungry, well educated and underpaid. I was full of promise as far as I was concerned. Fortunately, Fisher thought so too and they’ve put me the test. I’m now closing in on 40 years old, I’m still hungry for more and greater success, far more talented and knowledgable now than when I joined, and continue to stay at Fisher to build on an already 17 year career that’s been both financially and personally rewarding. Everyone at Fisher, all the way up to the CEO and Founder, Ken Fisher remain open to good ideas and feedback from their employee base. I frequently share my candid thoughts with my manager, and others too. It’s through this sort of frank discussion that we fix issues, challenge perspective and better myself and the firm. Alongside my candid criticism and input, I typically share solutions, innovative ideas and learn the ins and outs of running a complex business. Fisher has had its ups and downs through the years, less so than most firms, but they’re certainly not perfect and don’t claim to be. My thoughts are the following: Fisher Investments is world class when it comes to money management and employee talent. They manage money for some of the world’s largest organizations and thousands of America’s wealthiest private clients. FI is fast growing, hard charging and cutting edge. I wouldn't work anywhere that wasn't. Fisher is all of this because of the employees they choose to hire, not in spite of them. I know and am reminded of that often by my manager and his manager. I share this often with the candidates I interview for a variety of roles. I consider Fisher and me a good personality fit. I’m a firm believer that work is meant to be challenging, but also rewarding. At Fisher I get both. My genuine enthusiasm for working at Fisher hasn’t come without me being critical, vocal, and occasionally even difficult. I manage up, sideways and down and 11 years later, it's served me well. I encourage our younger employees to do the same. The management team has embraced this and has come to expect it. There have been more than a handful of times where Ken Fisher, Jeff Silk and other members of the executive team have called me after receiving feedback I’ve shared with my direct manager to further discuss my viewpoints and views of those lesser vocal employees who sit around me. They do so because they care to see their business thrive and I can attest they want their best employees retire here. My trust and confidence in the firm and their trust in confidence in me has been mutual. They know and expect I’ll work hard for our clients. I have. I know and expect the firm will work hard to keep me. They have. Fisher has provided me with financial flexibility, a well cared for family, work-life balance and the best life has to offer. My time at Fisher has exceeded my expectations. Lastly, I interview several hundred potential employees (10+ years experience) each year from the investment industry. Through my interviewing efforts I am further reminded everyday why Fisher isn’t only a great launch pad to a successful investment management career, it’s the end game for me.

Cons

See my comments above, it's comprehensive.

Advice to Management

See my comments above, it's comprehensive

Other Employee Reviews for Fisher Investments

Was a good company year and years ago. Today it's a sinking ship.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good 401K match, good health benefits. You will learn the in and outs of investment management and gain a foundation of capital markets knowledge. Delivers good customer service to clients. Will thicken your skin in a hurry.

Cons

As others have said, Fisher embraces a culture of oppression and fear. Ultra low morale -everyone is trying to leave. Heavy micro-management. Very cheap company with no detectable interest in the well-being of the employees, and no perks whatsoever -not even a token holiday party to pump up morale. Zero adoption of technology or modern business practices. No laptops, no tablets to take into your meetings, and if you happen to get a cell phone its a Blackberry. The business literally runs on software technology from the 80s. They don't even throw out a wifi signal so you can bring your own Ipad. Internet access on your desktop is denied for virtually all non-management or senior employees. The business has two directives 1) manage investment portfolios to beat a benchmark index by a few percent each year for clients and 2) take clients out of the market during a big downturn. The company did neither the past decade -in other words, a complete failure to execute the primary business directives. Fisher has had horrible portfolio performance on a 1,3,5,7,10 year annualized basis, they've lagged their benchmark as well as the S&P 500 benchmark, and missed the biggest bear market of the last 50 years in 2008. They kept clients fully invested in stocks in 2008 leading to massive losses. As of 2012, the company is seeing record attrition by customers and employees. This all leads to the worst morale and work environment where everyone is jumping ship around you, and those that stay are on the phones all day making excuses for the horrible performance. Multitude of lawsuits/arbitration cases and media scandals that the firm fights hard to bury by publishing fake articles and "research reports" in order to trick the algorithms of search engines. Company buys thousands and thousands of Ken Fisher's own books upon publishing to pump up the title on the best seller list. Goes as far as having the employees buy the books as individuals from multiple etailers and ship to their homes to throw off the scent. Giant ethical question marks...

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves, then hire a team that is experienced and can beat a benchmark index. Think about morale, the work environment and why people are leaving in droves. If you had good performance, you wouldn't need to spend the millions on advertising to rope in new unsuspecting retirees.

A sales firm that happens to do finance

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will specialize in specific areas. You become friendly with most of the people there and its a very open environment. They have 401K matching and relatively good benefits.

Cons

Don't expect that you will learn how to value a company, select investments, become a trader, manage accounts or really do much in finance. Rather you will focus on doing one thing over and over for comp that is simply better elsewhere. However, if you are on the sales side the comp was pretty good but that may have changed. Also don't really expect job satisfaction as the culture isn't easy to deal with.