Fisher Investments

www.fisherinvestments.com

Green Grass?

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Camas, WA

ProsWorking hard, doing well for clients, and increasing the firm's enterprise value will only make you succeed. This is true in any good growing company.
All of the below are true and exceptional relative to the industry: Work life balance, pay (including bonuses), 401k, insurance, location, opportunity, and employee growth (if you seek it out).
90% of the industry will ask you for your list of 100+ closest friends and family who have money. FI never does that. Same thing goes for potential clients. We never ask clients what they would feel comfortable buying, we ask them a thorough set of questions regarding their goals and objectives for their money.
The firm is always open to new ideas, all the way from what other business avenues should we pursue, down to how can we service XYZ client better.
I have seen multiple instances where FI has been supportive of higher education. The complaints on here are people who have asked for FI to pay for their higher education and have been denied.
As with all online review sites, keep in mind the people that have a negative outlook on FI are generally people that don't understand what is on the other side of the fence. People that have only worked for themselves (and presumably failed so they came to work for a large company), people that have little outside experience (straight out of school), or people that have never been in the finance industry which is horribly self servicing (brokers working on commission).
Take all pros and cons with a grain of salt, and this is coming from a previous insurance/investment broker.

ConsCorporate Culture has been a drag on the company over the last 2-5 years. Some clients hire us thinking we are invincible and some candidates choose us because of the same. Both groups have false pretenses for choosing a money manager. The reality is that no manager will see relative out-performance of a benchmark over a long enough period of time. The majority of employees (or former) who have a dour view of Fisher think the grass is greener elsewhere.
They fall into two camps:
1) someone who has been at FI longer than 7 years and rarely been promoted while their 'peers' have moved up in their career. This person fails to realize their increasing bonus and salary because their peers have had larger increases and been given greater responsibility.
2) someone who has been at FI < 2 years and was 'sold' on a Utopian like money manager based on meritocracy. Meritocracy is true, but it embodies more than just showing up and getting promoted in <2 years.
Many of the frustrated (ex)employees that complain about pay are in the Bay Area. Move to Camas and make a better decision for your family and/or yourself. Your chocolate cake isn't fat free. Sr. Management has said on multiple occasions that the best management candidates at the firm are in WA. That is probably because they make better financial decisions.
If you are an (ex)employee that has complained about your manager, when was the last time you made an effort to reach out to another group and showcase your ability? If you are an introverted worker bee, don't be frustrated because you didn't show yourself to someone other than your manager. Ask for projects or other responsibilities, bet you'd be surprised who would listen. Most other managers only see their own employees under them so that automatically gives you more exposure.
Ken is a firm believer in real life experience, and while he doesn't look down upon higher education, he does say he won't pay employees to go get an MBA. I know plenty of people who have only taken a job at a company just so they can get an MBA and then leave the company on their dime. Ken is SMART in not paying employees for useless higher education only to leave with better 'credentials'. My wife has an MBA and wrote a thesis on how to run a kite building company. Does she have better credentials than a manager who has successfully grown their division's net income with a real budget faster than 75% of the company?

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep searching for better ideas to improve corporate culture. This has been a big plus in the recent months and year+. As long as employees don't think change happens overnight, this is a big positive. Making every employee accountable for their decisions only exposes the best and worst of every employee from the top to the bottom.
Continue promoting people who embody loyalty (but not just the "I've been here long enough so that means loyalty.") People who have been at the company 5+ years have seen a tremendous amounts of ups and downs, and relatively speaking these ups and downs are much less than most investment advisers or financial institutions. Reinvigorate them with the reasons they chose FI and and FI chose them. Loyalty isn't a person who can't find a job somewhere else so they stay with the company to collect a paycheck no matter what they do.
Less fear based management in a growing company is extremely valuable, and while it has gotten better, there are still parts of middle management that live this for their own good and it trickles down. Learn to demote and/or train middle management who don't embody change and instead feel threatened. If your middle manager's family relies solely on his/her own salary, good luck getting them to change their habits of 'managing to the numbers'. They will only do what you tell them to to make their bonus count towards their cash flow. Feel lucky if you work for a manager that will take a chance because they aren't afraid to be wrong of fail.
Don't let this firm turn into a Siloed organization. Splitting the company into groups and telling everyone they are responsible for their own decisions can go too far and create information silos that are equally detrimental as a flat group think organization.

The people are a lot better than the company's performance.

Investment Counselor (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Made some life long friends. Good people and culture. Learned a lot about capital markets and… Cons: They should call themselves a marketing firm as they are much better securing clients than… Advice to Senior Management: Ken has relied heavily on bear / bull market calls to add value for the GTR strategy. Given that he… More

Awful company to work for!! Feels more like being in a prison.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time for more than a year

Pros: Get to leave the office right at 5PM. Cons: Middle management is over their head Offsite parking once a month Have to get into work by 7 am (if late… Advice to Senior Management: Treat your employees with respect, listen to your team and don't… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Fisher Investments.

Worked for Fisher Investments? Contribute to the Community!