Fisher Investments

www.fisherinvestments.com

Great place to work

Pros

Fisher Investments has been gratuitous enough to employ me for over 20 years. The early days were tough; I was working my way through college and didn’t know much about the investment industry. Through programs in place they trained me on many different aspects of the financial services industry. At this point I feel quite privileged to work here. I have a clear understanding of this industry, how financial market work and would be very comfortable lecturing in front of the most astute investors out there. None of this came without extremely hard work and dedication.

I understand there are a few past employees that have complaints about working. However, I did not see any substance in their complaints. They are upset when a manager checks their work? – What company doesn’t have that? They are upset when its time to go home and they are asked to complete their work and leave? -- Doesn’t that beat pushing employees to work 75+ hour work weeks? These complaints seem to me these are over privileged kids that never had to hold a job and at least we gave them a chance.

Our customer support and service is held at such high levels that I have trouble interacting with other companies at time… whether it be the dry cleaners, the local restaurant, the dentist office, etc. I hold everyone else to our high standards and it is tough sometimes. Customers come first, every company should think this way, as we know without the customer we employees do not have a reason to get up in the morning. I have the best job in the world, I work with the folks who have pushed the limits of capitalism and have succeeded… for that I am grateful. If these complainers have time to sit around and type negative thoughts about us then maybe no other firm found a reason to hire them so their leaving our company was likely a blessing in disguise. Fisher Investments is a GREAT place to work!

Cons

Not a place for all.

Other reviews for Fisher Investments

Fisher is not a company, its a hive!

Former Employee - Senior Ae  in  San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Ae in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Its a great place to 'used to work at'! You get to live in California if you work here.

Cons

Complete squelching of individual thought and creativity. Management that is hostile to the individual and drains the spirit of its employees. Virtually no upward mobility.

Clean house and change the culture to one that encourages individual thought, and promotes 'out of the box' thinking. Do you ever wonder why your performance has dramatically lagged every major benchmark? You are not leveraging the intellectual capital you have at your fingertips!

Limited Career Opportunities, Low Morale and a Company with an Uncertain Future

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Woodside, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodside, CA

Pros

Company matches employee 401k contributions.
    Health insurance is better than average financial firm.
    Company office is located immediately off the freeway.

Cons

I was a longtime employee of Fisher Investments (most recently as an Investment Counselor) prior to recently joining another financial services firm. There are some talented individuals at FI, and management has been able to retain them by using fear and intimidation. If someone is disappointed with career opportunities, company culture, compensation, etc., it'd be common to hear "try to make this money elsewhere" and "the grass is not always greener at other companies." I've worked at other financial firms before and after FI, and I can confidently say the grass is not only greener but quite lush too.

- Company morale is low. There is little confidence in management's ability to lead, manage client portfolios or proclivity to consider/address employees' concerns. The environment is the most toxic I've ever been around.

- Employee turnover, which has always been high, has dramatically increased the past few years, especially tenured employees. Turnover is typically highest immediately after employees receive their bonuses.

- Ken Fisher controls all decisions. With no shareholder accountability and management unwilling to challenge him, no changes can be made. Everyone is terribly afraid of Ken Fisher.

- Complete obsession with its public image. FI proactively attempts to remove negative online FI content while promoting internally-created positive content (FI articles, reviews, etc.) They even provided us with "training" on how to defend against negative reviews to clients and prospective employees. Plus, there are efforts to proactively encourage any satisfied clients to post positive reviews online. Employees have also been "encouraged" to post positive reviews online on Ken's books and purchase his books to boost sales. All this money and effort would be better spent on improving the company rather than covering up to outsiders.

- The most respected senior executive, presumably the next-in-command after Ken Fisher, has decided to leave the firm. Not good for stability or employees' confidence in company's future when the smartest guy in the room leaves. And this was with already below-average portfolio performance.

- What's the career path? Few options outside of Sales, Operations and Investment Counselor roles in lower/middle management. These positions are cookie-cutter with no ability to impact their departments or the firm.

- Investment Counselor position. Internal employees no longer want the position, and the company now has to consider and hire candidates who previously would not have been qualified. (May be a positive for notoriously tight company as these new hires are lower-paid)

- Portfolio management (supposedly FI's main responsibility) has consistently been poor. Defending the firms' constant underperformance to clients over the years has been exhausting.

- Management monitoring and critiquing (a.k.a. "micro-management") your work daily via a slew of reports is even more exhausting.

- Teamwork? Compensation structure pits teams & employees against each other, so your colleagues performing worse is more beneficial. One team performing "well" means another is performing "poorly" on a monthly basis.

- Fisher training is non-transferrable to other financial firms, and FI and the other firms know it. FI's industry reputation is that of a marketing/advertising boiler room rather than an investment firm.

- Graduate degrees and outside education/certification is discouraged. The lack of tuition reimbursement, and the attitude of management is that higher education adds no value to the firm.

- Workday begins at 7am sharp. Managers track your daily arrival time, so don't think of being late because it may literally cost you.

- Perks: No sabbaticals. No annual holiday/company party. No parking half the year (or having to "compete for parking") in San Mateo. No company outings. No ability to work from home. No flexibility in work schedule, even if you have young children (better hope your spouse does not work). Work space is 3ft x 2ft (seriously), kitchen space is minimal and bathroom situation is much worse. No work anniversary acknowledgments (even after major milestones).

I did learn and hone some professional skills in my time at Fisher, but realistically I would have done the same anywhere else. I don't necessarily regret working at FI, but I would never consider again and would recommend against it for anyone else. I do regret not leaving FI sooner because it is possible to believe in what you do, have an impact on others and your company all while making good money. Management reminds us that we are just "cogs in the machine," and their complete disregard for their employees is obvious. For anyone looking to work at Fisher Investments, can all these reviewers be wrong?

Hire outside experienced managers not entrenched in Fisher's cultish groupthink mentality. Focus on the content of your employees' negative reviews instead of worrying about removing these reviews

There are newer employer reviews for Fisher Investments.

Worked for Fisher Investments? Contribute to the Community!