Fisher Investments

Good place to start

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Client Service Associate in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments

Pros

Environment is very conducive to learning new skills. Management encourages you to pick up new responsibilities as soon as you are comfortable with the ones you have currently.

Cons

Lots of whispering in the workplace. Not really a huge deal, but becomes aggravating over time. Employees receive many opportunities to move laterally throughout the firm, but few to move up in the ranks due to the flat management structure.

Nothing to say here, besides addressing the issues I mentioned in the "Cons" section. Lateral movement can be great for some people, but if you're looking to keep ALL of your top talent, give them opportunities to move up as well.

229 Other Employee Reviews for Fisher Investments (View Most Recent)

Fisher Investments - Small Boutique Firm with a unique offering

Former Employee - Account Executive in Vancouver, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Vancouver, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments

Pros

They treat their employees well and work to ensure a work/life balance. The pay and benefits are great. They have a policy of moving employees around the company which leads to a well balanced experience. The Vancouver, WA office offers a great location for quality of living being a few minutes north of Portland, Oregon but offering some distinct advantages. There is a large amount of people with experience in the industry working there, and the culture encourages information sharing so it is always possible to learn something new. The firm continues to grow and they do take good care of their employees.

Cons

The hours can be tough in sales as with any finance firm at 6am. Warm calling prospects to set up meeting as inside sales can be tedious and repetitive. An employee must have a strong constitution to keep hearing no all day but to continue with a positive outlook making calls. Once you set a meeting with an Outside sales representative to go see a potential client you lose control of the sale, which can be frustrated since not only your income is dependent on that but also your performance reviews. The process is more of finding the right customers that fit Fisher rather then finding out how Fisher can help everyone.

Clearer expectations at times with a focus on finding metrics that do well, this has always been an issue in constant flux in evaluating account executives. In most cases TL's are fair but there is a wide variation in what they look for in a good appointment. This needs to be regulated and fixed for a comparison of different teams in the AE department.

Top notch and a good career builder

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments

Pros

I have learned a tremendous amount working at Fisher Investments over the last two years. This has been a very difficult time in this particular industry, and I’ve been very glad to have been working at a firm like Fisher Investments. The firm has been nimble and innovative in the way it deals with its clients. I’ve witnessed a lot of positive changes over just the time I’ve been there and had the chance to be part of some cool new things we are doing for clients that I’m pretty sure most other money managers and funds aren’t doing yet.

Professionally its been a time of great challenge that’s been rewarding. I don’t know if I’ll stay with the firm forever because I’m early in my career. But I know I want to stick around for a long while, and I’ll take what I’ve learned here with me the rest of my career where ever I go.

There are very good and smart people working here who are really motivated both to help our clients and also to help make this a good place to learn and grow professionally. I was very glad recently to recommend the firm to some soon-to-be graduates from my school.

Cons

This is not a place for people who aren’t interested at least somewhat in money management. And you must take a lot of personal accountability for what you do. This is a money management firm, so attention to detail is important. If you are that kind of person, this will be a great place for you to work. It’s also a team-oriented place. I’ve seen some people who aren’t big on details and want to operate solo get frustrated. Also, the people I know who have left have mostly gone into totally different professional areas, in other words, not investing or money management, so maybe this wasn’t the right place for them.

We’ve opened an office in Washington which is a nice alternate option to California. But I’d love one on the East Coast and will be the first one to sign up!

There are newer employer reviews for Fisher Investments