There are newer employer reviews for Five Below

They will use you then lose you.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Five Below part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a cool store with a good market and will probably be growing a lot in the next few years. The work environment is pretty fun too.

Cons

-Terrible management choices, based on seniority, not on SKILL
-Terrible scheduling practices (often I didn't know if I was working the next day until they told me, I actually MISSED an on call shift because they had finished the schedule late at night and hadn't told me I was supposed to work the very next morning.)
-They used me to set up the store before the opening, the manager told me I was one of the strongest people there, and the week after the store opened they laid me off because they had overhired, and since the general manager was too "attached" to all of her employees, she was not willing to make the necessary cuts based on performance, so the district manager had to come in and cut people randomly (not at all based on performance), and yours truly, one of the "strongest" people was cut.

Advice to Management

Seriously evaluate who you decide to promote to be general managers. Just because they are good, hardworking sales associate does NOT mean they are fit to be manager.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. They take advantage of their employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at Five Below part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the products are actually good
    Nice employee discount
    Okay dress code

Cons

Pointless meetings
    Staying beyond 10 pm if closing
    Most products don't work
    No returns, only exchanges
    Terrible management
    No growth opportunities

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees. Hire people who can efficiently manage a store. Don't hold meetings every once in a while and explain how we are not doing this or that, when we clearly are. Also, give raises.

2. Good first "real" job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Mansfield, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in East Mansfield, MA

I worked at Five Below

Pros

This was a good part-time job for a high school student.

Cons

At first there were too many people that I could only get 1 hour a week, then it came back to having more hours than I wanted and having to work when I requested off. At one point I turned in a request off date 6 months in advanced because I KNEW I wouldn't be able to work that day, reminded them the day the manager made the schedule, yet I still was working that day AND management was mad at me when I told them I was not coming in and that in this case it was their job to find someone else. I ended up leaving later that month.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees also have lives and YOU are the example so if you are "slacking" then your employees will slack.