There are newer employer reviews for Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Great working enviroment.

Current Employee - Shift Leader  in  Houston, TX
Current Employee - Shift Leader in Houston, TX

I have been working at Five Guys Burgers & Fries full-time for more than a year

Pros

Secret Shopper payouts. High energy and Positive work enviroment.

Cons

Certain franchisee compensation could be better.

The more managers are paid the more they will care.

195 Other Employee Reviews for Five Guys Burgers & Fries (View Most Recent)

Encourage a good work ethic, but micromanagement is unbelievable.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Berwyn, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berwyn, IL

I worked at Five Guys Burgers & Fries part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was hired for a Five Guys that was just opening, so from the start I really saw them try to create a solid team that they could keep. They really do care about serving quality food and making sure the customer is happy, and they want to take care of their employees.

Cons

Like I said, I was hired for one as it was opening, and as a result, they hired a lot more people than they normally would have so they could whittle that group down into the team they have there now. Unfortunately, I felt like I and many others were quickly overlooked because of this. After the first week, I think the managers knew who they wanted to keep, and who they were going to let go in a month, and unfortunately, they did nothing to hide this (they would blatantly NOT teach me how to do anything new while I watched them show certain people how to do everything, even when I asked they basically just told me, "oh, we'll get around to that some other time, just stay on your station"), and after they made their decisions there wasn't any way to really change their minds. I worked harder than most, yet I was still fired after the first month, along with many others who probably deserved to stay. This also led to a somewhat hostile work environment. People were willing to sabotage others for the sake of staying there. One of the guys in my crew used to point out every little thing I would do wrong just for the sake of making me look bad. One time during prep, I went to the bathroom for maybe 5 minutes. While I was gone, my coworkers told my manager I had been gone for almost 20 minutes, and I was immediately reprimanded by one of my managers. When I tried telling him they were completely over exaggerating, he didn't believe me.

The secret shopper scores can easily be lowered by a few bad employees, which in turn affects everyone who is working on that shift. I was only shopped a few times while I worked there, but I remember the first one scored a zero, and every deduction was from two employees; the girl working the cash register, and the guy who was on fry duty.

However, the worst part is the micromanagement that came from every angle. Prep work was timed down to the second in some cases, especially rolling meat. They would tell you how quickly you should be able to do something, but then would give you zero advice on how to do it faster. One time a manager walked by as I prepped lettuce and said to me, "This is taking way too long, you're doing it the wrong way (I was doing it the way the trainers had showed me the first week), there's a much better way to do it that gets it done in half the time." AND THEN HE JUST WALKED AWAY without bothering to show me.

Stop micromanaging. I know things need to get done quickly, but standing over someone's shoulder while they roll meat and telling them "You should be rolling one patty every 3.6 seconds" is not a good way to motivate your employees. Let them do things a little more in their own way. Just because one way works for you does not mean it works for everyone. Does it really matter if I spread my mayo on a bun differently than you? Is it really a big deal that I pull the buns out of the bag instead of just dropping them onto the grill (which would always cause one bun to roll into the grease trap, yet they insisted I do it that way)? Most everything else I can say was because the store had just opened which made the environment a little more hectic than normal, but this is something I have repeatedly heard from anyone working there. They put a lot of emphasis in the training videos about how "we don't make our foods on a production line", but it is completely undermined when you run your operation exactly like a production line

Poor management from the top

Former Employee - Shift Leader  in  League City, TX
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in League City, TX

I worked at Five Guys Burgers & Fries full-time for more than a year

Pros

Five guys has an awesome corporate culture and you can tell they genuinely want the best for both their customers and their employees.

Cons

However, I worked at a franchise and i believe a lot of that culture got lost in translation. District managers were obsessive over very minor details. An example of this is waste - I am aware that the food industry needs to minimize food waste to maintain their margins but this franchise took it to rediculous levels- oh you sold 300 lbs of beef today and wasted .5lbs? Thats a write up! Oh, you missed labor goal by 3%? Write up! You scored less than a 100% on a mystery shop? Write up!

On my very first shift as a shift leader we scored 90% on a mystery shop - this isn't great, but its also not bad. Guess what - i got written up.

Please note that these comments are for my particular franchise and do not necessarily reflect all five guys franchisees.

Please note that this pertains to my particular franchise and not necessarily all of the franchisees.

let up on the control a bit and trust your hard working employees to do their job without constant micromanagement.

Don't reprimand employees for every little thing, instead use coaching and positive reinforcement. It would go a long way towards improving morale!

There are newer employer reviews for Five Guys Burgers & Fries

Worked for Five Guys Burgers & Fries? Contribute to the Community!