Five Star Quality Care

www.fivestarseniorliving.com
  www.fivestarseniorliving.com
There are newer employer reviews for Five Star Quality Care

Good entry level company, but lacks direction

Current Employee - Buyer in Newton, MA
Current Employee - Buyer in Newton, MA

I have been working at Five Star Quality Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to get experience. Laid back work environment. Has potential if some small changes are made.

Cons

Lack of accountability. No clear vision of where the company is heading. Lack of compensations for hard work.

Make managers more accountable. Define goals and interact directly with departments

46 Other Employee Reviews for Five Star Quality Care (View Most Recent)

Jive Star Quality Careless

Former Employee - Therapy in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Therapy in Miami, FL

I worked at Five Star Quality Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that I worked with were FABULOUS!

Cons

This company lacks vision, direction, accountability. Don't pretend to care about compliance issues, then suffer the consequences when your report them. Hard work is not recognized but lazy work is accepted. Lowering the bar for professionalism should be their MANTRA. I expected more from NEWTON Senior Level Members. If the proof is in the numbers, what does it say when you fire the integrity driven customer service driven staff retention given team member's and can't replace them and then numbers, retention, customer satisfaction goes down hill? I thought Bruce Mackey would make a difference, denied. I hope his wife or daughters never have to subject themselves to the sexual harassment I went through with proof and no support from Newton. DISSAPOINTING!!!!!

OPEN your EYES! FIRE the current management team and rehire the good ones who left.

Unorganized, Inconsistent, Poor Hiring Practices

Current Employee - Cook in Peoria, AZ
    Current Employee - Cook in Peoria, AZ

I have been working at Five Star Quality Care full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Residents are wonderful. Other hourly employees are great to work with. Immediate supervisors (sous chefs) in the kitchen are great, down to earth, and not afraid to help out. Very flexible when it comes to school or other conflicts.

Cons

Executive Chef can never seem to make a decision about anything. One week, he wants something made one way, and the next week, he'll forget he said that and want to know why I'm doing it wrong.
    It is impossible to be promoted. My immediate supervisor has been working there for 16 years, since he was a teenager. He worked his way up from a dishwasher to a sous chef, in the kitchen. But on paper, and in pay, he is still just a cook. A coworker started at 8.00/hr as a dishwasher and has sine moved up to cook, in the kitchen. But on paper, he still only makes 8.28/hr and is still a dishwasher. Other dishwashers hired after him make 8.50, and other cooks get at least 10, but he still does not. Since I have started working there, I have achieved an associate's degree and a bachelor's degree, and am only making .40 more cents/hr than when I started. I have been promised a promotion to sous chef, or at least the opportunity to be trained for sous chef responsibilities, but nobody has come through on that promise. I was "promoted" to full-time, meaning that I work 40 hours per week, but on paper, it still says I'm part time, meaning that I don't get any benefits whatsoever.
    Raises are nonexistent. Within the last six months, anyone who has gotten their yearly review should have gotten a 2% raise, but instead, the company has decided to give bi-annual bonuses, which are not equivalent to the raise, and are taxed more heavily.
    Hiring practices are the worst. They seem to want to fill the kitchen with warm bodies, rather than hiring qualified employees. Servers are all hired at 16 or 17 years old, given two days of training and expected to perform perfectly. They are paid minimum wage, no tips. Cooks are all from the same place, The Art Institute of Phoenix, because the executive chef also is a teacher there. Students can make good cooks, but more often than not, they quit within days or weeks. Training is also substandard. Cooks are trained for a few days and then expected to be as good as those who have been there for years.
    It also takes more than a month to be hired, once all the paperwork is completed.
    I did not used to be so unhappy. I plan to quit very soon.

Do not be afraid to promote employees. Employees who get raises and promotions will not become bored or burned out on their job. Do not be afraid to interview more than one person for the same job. Just because someone wants a job does not mean they are qualified or deserve it. Do some research, have them do a practice test, hire better employees and give them the raises, benefits, and promotions that they deserve.

There are newer employer reviews for Five Star Quality Care