There are newer employer reviews for Flagstar Bancorp

needed more real training

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Canton, MI
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Canton, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

ability to move up, do work as a teller and personal banker, provided two weeks of training (though it didn't seem like enough when I actually got to work. Provided a mentor for your first few weeks. (could have been better if the person was much more friendlier and willing to work)

Cons

Much lower pay than my old job as a teller at a bank with 3 times the amont of work, no benefits, no vacation days. Training didn't apply to real situations. Computer system was way back in time. I came from Chase Bank and they were very up on their technology, training, pay, and benefits.

reviews filtered by

Started better than it ended

Former Employee - Senior Retail Banking Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Retail Banking Assistant in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

It is a very employee-focused company, with many events designed to help decrease employee stress levels and to give them a reason to come to work. We had National Pancake Day, where we were greeted with pancakes, sausage and orange juice for breakfast. This company has subscribed to the "Fish Philosophy" and a "Get on the Bus" iniative and recognizes those who do a good job, sometimes even a handwritten note from one of the higer ups. It employs a majority of females, due to the industry, so it's a nice break from any male-dominated industry.

Cons

Due to the economic problems, the bank has suffered, recently selling its branches in Indiana and Georgia. There are not many options to move up in the company, (at least until the economy recovers fully) as positions have also been eliminated.

Don't lose that employee relationship aspect, no matter how bad things get. Make sure they all know that you are in it together, because it is so hard for tellers to relate to upper management.

Get to work with newer technology

Current Employee - Software Developer in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

Willingness to move onto new technologies, REST SOA type approaches.
    Independence and autonomy can be nice, so long as you get good work done in the end.

Cons

Management Change-Over a couple of years ago, and being owned by venture capitalist means a sale of the bank to a bigger bank is likely and the inevitable shakeup that will cause has caused a brain drain of experienced knowledgeable employees, this can be viewed as more opportunity for new people joining the organization to fill such openings.

Try and capitalize on the unique aspects of Flagstar, make sure those unique aspects are not crushed as we try and move into other areas. The concern is we will be just like all other banks, differentiated in the marketplace. Keep up with the superior customer service.

There are newer employer reviews for Flagstar Bancorp