There are newer employer reviews for Flagstar Bancorp

Flagstar Bank will elevate you to new levels, if you do the same for them

Current Employee - Manager
Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp

Pros

Flagstar Bank offers a level of security that is not found in larger financial institutions today. The institution is primarily run by a family who started the firm and has been in the business for 39 years. They are very family focused and the employees reap the benefits with support from management. There was an employee who passed away a few years ago and left behind children and a wife and had no life insurance. The leadership stepped up and created a fund to help the family is very short order. That in itself speaks volumes about the type of firm you would be working for. Do not be mistaken, they are very shrewd and make the tough decisions every day. But overall, Flagstar is an amazing company to work for.

Cons

Recent private equity investment injecting the typical big bank mentality after years of bliss

Listen to other than yourselves!

128 Other Employee Reviews for Flagstar Bancorp (View Most Recent)

Fantastic internship program!

Current Employee - Data Governance  in  Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Data Governance in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, you are treated as an equal and they make sure to train you for the banking environment just as they would for any other role.

At other companies, a peer was my mentor. At Flagstar, my supervisor was my mentor and she made sure that I was recieving the best experience possible by introducing me to technologies that would help to advance my career. More importantly, she was never too busy for me and was willing to spend as much time to help me gain an understanding as to what is expected. She wanted me to know what my role was and to be able to confidently talk about my tasks. This is not the type of internship filled with fetching coffee for the superiors and filing. They definitely expose you to important tasks that are meaningful to the company.

Aside from learning my role, I was also encouraged to explore other roles by setting up short meetings so that I can watch their day-to-say activities. This is helpful for those who are undecided in what they want to pursue an advanced degree in because you have the opportunity to watch each role in a work environment opposed to classroom curriculum.

I can't say enough good things about this internship experience. Not only do they want you to succeed while working for them, but also in your future career.

Cons

Very short internship (3 months) with no opportunity for job placement afterwards. No benefits.

AVP in the National Sales and Development Department

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President National Sales  in  Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President National Sales in Troy, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bancorp full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I really enjoyed the work that I did and the people I worked with. They had great benefits that included, health insurance, vacation time, and 401K.

Cons

After working at Flagstar for 18 years, I was not able to advance any further within the company and due to downsizing, my position was combined with another area and my position eliminated.

My advise to management would be better communication. They had a tendency to keep the companies financial position and/or plans amongst themselves, leaving those that were in jeopardy of loosing their jobs without an opportunity to find other employment.

There are newer employer reviews for Flagstar Bancorp

Worked for Flagstar Bancorp? Contribute to the Community!