FleishmanHillard

www.fleishmanhillard.com
  www.fleishmanhillard.com
There are newer employer reviews for FleishmanHillard

Good Rapport and Training (Hong Kong)

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I have been working at FleishmanHillard full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Strong sense of community within the company, where everyone is willing to provide cross-team support to speed things up and get work done.
- Strong emphasis on training for junior staff, with regular lunch time training and quarterly one-on-one tutorials.
- Diverse clientele, which makes work interesting and intellectually-challenging.
- Methodological approach to deriving insights and project management.
- Strong IT support.

Cons

- Human resources not always responsive to junior staff query.
- Salary not as competitive as other professional industries.

209 Other Employee Reviews for FleishmanHillard (View Most Recent)

Great at first... until everything came tumbling down.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at FleishmanHillard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Leadership in the Toronto office was generally good and the exposure to top industry clients is a great opportunity for a new PR professional looking to gain client exposure. The pay is generous for interns and if you do well, you can move up to permanency (associate consultant) level very quickly. The office provides weekly incentives such as expensed 'lunch and learns', team outings, social events and early office closes before long weekends. While I was an employee at FH, I wasn't only limited to my team and was able to dabble in other projects, especially when I was charging at a lower rate. The work environment does provide for a work/life balance.

Cons

Much of the job description for junior employees involves very menial tasks, including media monitoring, compiling reports and putting together awards binders (yay). There's very little room to take initiative on the strategic end and it's hard to break through the bureaucracy. Towards the end of my employment, I finally got to take party in copy editing tasks, but by the time the documents went through 3 approvals, my opinions hardly counted. After updating my resume, I realized how very few accomplishments or projects I could put my name to.

The office also has a strange, although well-meant, buddy system where an intermediate staff member will provide an intern with an easy transition into PR agency life. Maybe I was unlucky, but I often felt demeaned/singled-out and felt like I had a big "intern" sticker on my forehead! Oh, and, I also sat in the hallway because there weren't enough desks to accommodate me in the regular cubicle area - in case I didn't feel alienated enough. During this time I was given very little privacy and often experienced interruptions with people continuously passing by.

There doesn't seem to be strong employer loyalty at the Toronto office. From the time I started working to the time I left, at least 10 people either quit or got laid off from administrative, junior, intermediate and senior levels. I learned that recently, the FH offices in Calgary and Montreal have also closed, so this might be indicative of how well (or not well) the company is doing on the client side.

My advice to PR professionals starting out: try finding a position in a small to medium PR agency if you really want to get your feet wet.

Be more open with your junior staff, especially with regards to feedback and areas for improvement. I had a sense that the culture had a very "sink or swim" mentality. I was let go for "performance" reasons (funny, because I'm now heading up a company's PR efforts), but when I asked for feedback, I was told they were not at liberty to say. How does that help a young professional? Management needs to acknowledge that each employee has a different learning curve and to expect bumps along the way. I was actually promoted from intern to associate consultant in a very short time (3 months) and then suddenly, they changed their mind about me? You could spare your employees the humiliation of escorting them out and instead, discuss the issues at hand and try to resolve them in a diplomatic way.

Not challenging enough for interns

Former Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at FleishmanHillard as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-brand name of firm
    -almost an all female workplace with very few guys (can be good or bad)
    -people are nice and experienced, but may require effort to get close to (but once you're in with the gang, it's great)
    -people are also generally fun and funky by nature, though not as much as in advertising, and this side of them may not show up during work time
    -relatively small firm, so quite a close knit community and when there are team bonding events, like lunches and drinks, it's great fun
    -not as much writing/linguistic ability involved as you'd think the job requires (can be good or bad)
    -good realistic exposure to the less glamorous side of the pr industry/a taste of project management if you're wondering what it's like

Cons

-interns do very basic tasks, don't really get to learn a great deal
    -very fast-paced environment, task turnaround time can be short (can be good or bad)
    -no team rotation, interns assigned to teams based on need and if you don't like the team you're in it might suck for you (eg. b2c clients are have more exciting PR activities -also busier, more late nights- than b2b)
    -lots of report generation and mundane tasks, less participation in strategic conceptualisations and client meetings (read: lots of routine tasks that require being meticulous but are not necessarily challenging enough)
    -not much face-to-face exposure to media contacts (the fun, interactive bit?)
    -low pay (but apparently higher than average for the industry)

-give interns more challenging tasks and have greater task variation, else the job gets very mentally tiring without exciting the mind
    -let interns sit in on meetings etc for learning purposes
    -allow for choice of team or team rotation

(the move towards a more structured intern programme with senior employee sharing sessions is a step in the right direction)

There are newer employer reviews for FleishmanHillard