Fletcher Allen Health Care

Moving in the Right Direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, VT

I have been working at Fletcher Allen Health Care

Pros

Fletcher Allen Health Care is well known as one of Vermont's largest employers. There are a lot of growth opportunities at Fletcher Allen Health Care. The best thing about this organization is the number of different jobs available that will open up. Fletcher Allen encourages its employees to stick with a job for 6 months to a year before transferring to a different department, but during those 6 months to a year you can get some valuable experience for future jobs. This place is great especially because the healthcare industry is a safe and dependable industry to be in. Great place to work for Vermonters!

Cons

The parking situation at Fletcher Allen is TERRIBLE. Employees that work at the Main Hospital as well as University Health Care are forced to park in satellite lots and ride shuttles (school buses) to work.

Encourage more growth for employees within in the organization. Offer better compensation packages for tuition reimbursements.

39 Other Employee Reviews for Fletcher Allen Health Care (View Most Recent)

Great people, difficult economy to achieve the greatness it has potential for

I have been working at Fletcher Allen Health Care full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Really nice and caring people for an academic medical center. Very good salary and benefits for the region.

Cons

Short sighted senior leaders. Because people generally want to stay in Vermont, they won't make tough decisions that may make them unpopular.

Be more visible and get in the trenches with the people who do the work.

Good place to work

Pros

For a hospital of this size, Fletcher Allen is a good place to work. Patient care is and has been a priority for the past several years. Each department is different in the employees experience. Some departments have better management or leadership and employees are happier, while other departments have a completely different take on the hospitals direction. Our department has a good relationship with the department manager, supervisors and educators. Some of our staff is involved in quality improvement initiatives for patient care as well as having a say in new therapies and products used for patient care.

Cons

One of the big drawbacks is the union vs. management conflict. Especially during the union contract negotiations. As a open mined union member, I think both sides make the situation worse than it needs to be. Not really work related, but weather in Vermont is what most people who move here are not prepared for. Winters are long, cold and grey. If you do not like outdoor activities, especially in the winter, Vermont is not a good place to choose.

Often times the upper management does not see or appreciate what happens at the patient care level. I feel they know we provide good patient care and want us to provide good patient care, but finances always seem take a priority. I do understand that margins are important for the financial health of the institution, but there are many ways to control costs so that patient care is always the priority.

There are newer employer reviews for Fletcher Allen Health Care