There are newer employer reviews for Fletcher Building

Just because Fletcher's is the biggest, does not make us the best.

Current Employee - Civil Engineer
Current Employee - Civil Engineer

I have been working at Fletcher Building

Pros

Largest construction company in New Zealand provides access to some of the most interesting projects around. The Fletcher empire has everything you might need here in construction. Because of its size, its a great place to exist as an Engineer if you are average in abilities and ambition. Promotion will come with time served.

There are also some great people to work with and good managers. It can just be hit and miss.

Cons

Being the largest construction company in New Zealand and encumbant firm. The company's rhetoric and literature is of ingenuity, adaptability and continual progress. The reality is often quite different - and is entrenched all the way up to senior management. Being the largest firm with access to resources no other firm in New Zealand has, Fletcher Building relies on its size. In any other larger and more developed country it would not survive as it currently does or be the firm of choice.

With the huge range of skills and abilities that Fletcher has in it's people, particularly Engineers and skilled tradesmen - ingenuity and performance should be better valued. New Zealand and Fletcher's wonder why so many are crossing the ditch. A lot of the answer lies at home.

reviews filtered by

Large successful NZ company that is going through important change

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Auckland (New Zealand)
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Auckland (New Zealand)

I have been working at Fletcher Building as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Lot of opportunities
    Capable and strong leadership

Cons

Going through a difficult change from being decentralised to more centralised for some functions.
    Capability in some management positions is not great, but is starting to change

Keep going, don't lose the faith

2. Great. FB helps with your personal brand.

Current Employee - General Manager in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Fletcher Building full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you have the trust or belief of your senior management, then you can do what you want. I have been very fortunate through careful planning of my career and my bosses, to get myself a very senior role where I can restructure a company and build my personal brand. Training is great. I have used that to my benefit. After several GM roles in NZ, I have now outgrown that country and am busy restructuring an Australian distribution business. This is great for my career.

Cons

The CEO is inconsistent. We don't seem to be very clear as to whet we are trying to achieve. i may be having a bad month, but it feels like we are in a state of constant change.

Be consistent. Stop employing friends to key positions and listen to the GM's.

Fletcher Building Response

Feb 1, 2015GM HR Systems & Recruitment

The company believes this review has been posted by an individual impersonating a senior manager in our company. Please consider this view when reading this post. S.Spence, GM HR Systems ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Fletcher Building