Flextronics

There are newer employer reviews for Flextronics

Supportive and Team-focused Work Environment

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Flextronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flextronics is very team focused and, despite how lean we are from a resource perspective, you will almost NEVER hear "that's not my job" or "You're on your own".... As a Manager, I have a great team supporting me and the company.

The benefits are very competitive for this area. Salaries are fair, not amazing. 401K is 1:1 up to 4%. Healthcare plans are great, with up to $400 free up front to be used for deductibles, copays, etc, and any remaining carries over to the next year. Bonus structure varies by level; 5% or 10% of base which can be met from 0% to 200% per quarter.

Work-life balance depends on your work area and level.

Cons

Training could be improved.

If you are at the operational level (inspectors, line operators) weekends are heavily required. As you get into engineering, program management and management, weekends either rotate responsibility or are not expected at all.

You can only get too lean, before you become anorexic. Things are getting a bit dicey with coverage levels and things are starting to slip through the cracks. While I know this is corporate driven, it could push the site in the wrong direction for our current and hopeful customers.

490 Other Employee Reviews for Flextronics (View Most Recent)

Buy and sell

I have been working at Flextronics

Pros

You can refuse a task given to you. Managers are too scared to lose their seemingly good people. Too bad for new hires.
    The company is always hiring
    For new hires you do everything your seniors don't want to do and get blamed by being forced to own a problematic project.

Cons

The factories here provide bread & butter to thousands of people and they work very hard to keep the company profitable. However, when the going gets tough they are the first to lose their job when management decided on cost cutting. The culture is so focused on blaming, it is not that people in flextronics like to blame, but the novelty of owning up and fixing a problem up to an extend of another's problem always, not often but always, result in that person being severed. A drop of fresh milk into a glass of bad milk changes nothing. This is the 3rd round of layoffs and the people that cheat the system by manipulating the data survives. A lot of politics here and the performance metric is really bad. Backstabbing culture and people using their skills to figure out how to survive rather than what to do to thrive.

It seems to me your middle managers need counseling.

Student Intern

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Flextronics as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Not many, besides free salad and the smooth interview process, this position has so far has been a drain to my summer. Little room for growth.

Cons

There are so many managers, directors, and VPs within the company. Little could be done when you have so many points of contact, with everyone wanting expecting something different from you. Mentors assigned to interns were unresponsive to interns and some were only in the office 1-2x/week. Highly recommend against accepting an offer here.

There are newer employer reviews for Flextronics