Flight Centre

www.flightcentrecareers.co.uk
  www.flightcentrecareers.co.uk
There are newer employer reviews for Flight Centre

To open up the world for those who want to see

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Flight Centre

Pros

Our Australian operation, winner for two years running of the Hewitt Associates " Best Employer to Work for in Australia" award has over 600 businesses in Australia.
Our New Zealand operation was also voted the Best Large Workplace for the 6th year in a row in the recent “Unlimited/JRA Best Places to Work” survey. FCNZ, National winner of the prestigious award of "Best Large Workplace" .
Flight Centre UK has been voted into the Sunday Times' "Top 100 Companies to Work For", for the 6th year in a row (the only travel company to achieve this).
Flight Centre South Africa was voted Best Company To Work For in Deloitte’s 2004 survey for the Tourism, Leisure and Entertainment sector, whilst taking 5th spot in the overall judging in 2007.
The Canadian operation was voted Best Employer to work for in 2001 & 2002 and has been voted in the Top 50 Best Employer awards for the past 7 years running.

Cons

Incentives,
Constant pressure to succeed,
Work life Balance

10. EGALITARIANISM AND UNITY
In our company, we believe that each individual should have equal privileges and rights. In Leisure and Corporate, in Australia and overseas, and in organically grown and acquired businesses, there should be no ‘them and us’.

68 Other Employee Reviews for Flight Centre (View Most Recent)

Travel Consultant

Current Employee - Travel Consultant
    Current Employee - Travel Consultant

I have been working at Flight Centre full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Encourages the Brightness of Future, with lots of career progression and opportunities. You can be promoted to leadership positions within a year or two if you work enough for it.

- A work hard play hard culture. Depends on your team and the leader. I love mine and I know they will always be on the look out for me.

- Training is great. You can get your cert III and cert IV in the first two years on the job. And there are always lots of product training and sales/management training courses available.

- Familiarisation trips! This will depend quite largely on your team leader and team. I was given my first big FAMIL a few months into my role to the other side of the world! But many others may not get it until a couple if years into the job.

- Unlimited commission. Which is very important to the low base pay we get as it determines whether I can afford anything or not... But if you have the right mind set, it's not very hard to earn just above average total income, which can push the total earnings to well above 50k per year. This also can be heavily dependent on your store location (north shore and country stores generally fare much better in comparison than the rest of Sydney).

- Looks great on your resume if you'd like to venture out to the travel industry later and work for wholesale/corporate/any travel related jobs outside of FC Group.

- Great sense of achievement if you consistently over-deliver, and your efforts won't go unnoticed.

- New changes to negatives. The consultant will no longer need to bare the negative within their commission if things go horribly wrong. Although you will still need to spit back out any mark up you've had on the booking. But at least you will still earn the normal commission you will get if you did not mark up and nothing went wrong.

- Cost of Seat (KPI target) has a lower and upper limit. Which can be bother a pro or con depending on your store. If your store is in a rich area, this is a good thing, this means you will most likely average well above the higher limit of the COS, and raking in lots of money. If your area is a "price beat central", then chances are you may be struggling to meet or are just a little above the lower end of COS. Oh and if your store is constantly making high profit, the COS will increase. There is a cap to the COS, so it's actually very beneficial to those working in rich areas.

Cons

- Can be long hours, and hard work. Depending on your store, you may be required to do a 7-day rotating roster. Monthly outside of work hour events are also compulsory to attend -- unless you're working part time and have worked here for years... With a nice team leader.

- Base pay is low, even after the recent adjustment in pay (slight increase since August).

- The COS if you're not in a wealthy area.

- Lots of responsibilities over your own work and can be very, very, very time consuming and expensive if you make a small mistake. And some airlines also like to blame travel agents for mistakes they have done.

- Turnover rate is high. Most training groups average around 8-10 people in the induction week. And by the 3rd month of employment, you can expect the number to drop by half. By 6th month, only very few remain. But generally if you can get past 6 months without quitting, you will usually either stay with FC for a very very long time or find a new job in the same industry after 1-2 years.

- In general, the experience an individual will have working at FC will be highly dependent on your team and team leader. I was lucky to be in a great team, with a great leader who supported me the whole way. I have learnt a lot from working here, and loved some of my clients to pieces (some are so lovely!!) and while hated others (but had to pretend I still liked them...). This is challenging, and will take a big portion of your life. Do not expect pay to be great for the first 6 months or so. It will be minimal wage. But once you get it above a certain magical number, you'll love it... If you are still wiling to put in the same effort months on end.

Good introduction to the travel industry--but with some sacrifice of your personal life and possibly morals

I have been working at Flight Centre full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Commission earnings can be great (if you don't mind marking up fares with abandon and possibly losing accounts if they find out)

-Have met some great co-workers

-You get on the job training about using the computer programs that travel agents/airlines use. (It just stinks that FC's own computer programs are so slow and outdated.)

-Occasionally free fam trips come up. (I have not yet been on one. One of of co-workers did go on one. The rest of us are hoping to get our turns after being at FC for a few years.)

-If you love to drink, you will have many opportunities to do so

-The travel perks can be good--but not as great as they used to be (and it's hard to be able to get time off in order to make use of them)

-if you are Australian or from the UK and want to work in the States, FC seems to give you preference on jobs available in the U.S.

Cons

-With as big as the company is, the vendor rates and commissions with hotels, car rental companies, and airlines could be so much better. FC is one of the country's--and one of the WORLD's largest travel companies. Often your clients will find the same prices online--if not better prices--and you will be expected to match or undercut the online price, which then cuts into your commission

-the required FC uniforms. At first I thought having a uniform would be nice so that I would not have to worry about picking out what to wear every day, however, for guys and gals, the sizes are totally off and the quality shoddy. After a few washes, the items fall apart and it stinks having to spend your own money on repairs and tailors.

-10 or 12 hours days are the norm + extra time spent (unpaid) at outside events that you are expected to attend. Oh, and you get to travel for work conferences, but the trips are short--usually long flights for just a Saturday night stay--and you are not paid.

-health insurance plan is ok, but again, for a company as large as FC is, they totally could negotiate a much better plan rate. I have worked for smaller companies with better insurance coverage rates.

-watch out on your paychecks as they will not take out enough on taxes--especially on commission payments. (Maybe it is so employees think that they are making more money than they are.) So you could end up owing big time when you do your taxes

-Making money means marking up airfare, hotels, whatever you can--charging travelers more than the actual ticket, hotel, car cost. FC might use a retail store/retail price analogy, but it would be like charging $400 for a coffee maker that only cost $20 wholesale. Granted, airline commissions have been cut over the years, but again, with the market share that FC and all its divisions have, they should be able to negotiate better commissions or fares with the airlines. FC gets a big chunk of the money you make on mark ups, but if your customers find out about them if they check the actual ticketed price online, then it all comes back out of your agent commission.

-FC operates on a cost of seat plan so they get a big chunk of your earned commission and you have to do stuff that other travel agencies do not do: pay out of your commission on credit card fees, pay fees to their own internal ticketing team, pay fees when passengers refund refundable tickets, pay fees for changes on tickets, etc. You can easily have a $100 commission on an airline ticket end up as next to nothing because of the in house fees. I will not sell tickets to family and friends because it cost us money since you do not want to mark up tickets on people you know.

-Maybe spend less on all of those required outside events and all of the in office booze and instead use that money on updating the computer systems and hiring more staff so that 10 and 12 hour days are not the norm

-Negotiate better rates with hotels, airlines, and car rental companies. FC is only one of the top 5 travel companies in the world, so come on. It benefits the agents, but also the customers and helps to ensure that they keep coming back.

-Either find better quality uniforms or scrap them all together

There are newer employer reviews for Flight Centre

Worked for Flight Centre? Contribute to the Community!