There are newer employer reviews for Flixster

One of the best places for an engineer to learn and grow

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Flixster full-time

Pros

* Completely open culture where everyone is encouraged to give their coworkers regular feedback, so you don't have that fear and uncertainty about how you're doing. The engineering managers are fun, sincere, communicative people on top of being brilliant and hardworking. They genuinely want to help you improve your professional / life skills.

* Smart technical colleagues you can approach to discuss any problem you have, and they often suggest sexy new technologies that might help you out.

* Autonomy, opportunities to take lead on high-profile projects and easy to transition between teams / projects. I can't speak for the non-engineering side of the company, but everyone at engineering seems very satisfied.

Cons

* No free lunches or company-sponsored happy hours / ski trips (they will sponsor those trips and outings if you volunteer to organize them though.) This is probably balanced out by our complete flexibility like working from home and taking half-days for doctor appointments, taking care of kids, etc.

* Partnering with 3rd-party companies who are less efficient than we are, can be frustrating.

* This is obvious but Flixster is not a rocket ship like AirBnb or Facebook was. Flixster will compensate you well and give lots of bonuses, but it's no longer a million-dollar lottery ticket to an IPO, if that's what you're looking for.

Advice to Management

As we expand and hire more people, try not to lose that close communication we've enjoyed over past years.

reviews filtered by

A special place full of passionate people working on really fun products

I have been working at Flixster

Pros

Flixster is a different kind of startup with a handful of really successful products. The managers and engineers are never content, and are constantly pushing themselves to stay ahead. Attrition rate here is extremely low, and everyone is generally awesome and happy.

Cons

The company is famously frugal, although everyone has a great sense of humor about it. Agreeing with earlier posts, the office building and furniture are over due for some upgrades.

Great environment, lousy office, fun spirit

I have been working at Flixster

Pros

Joe, Steve and Saran are highly visible leaders who act as if they are PART OF the team, not just leading it. The environment is serious but fun.

Cons

Slow action on some ideas; there's a little "not invented here" syndrome among some top management. We need better offices, the ones we have give new meaning to "start up."

Advice to Management

Trust the ideas employees generate. Behave more like a real company (which we are) and not just a little startup. Make us PROUD OF WORKING HERE, because most of us are anyway.