Flixster
www.flixster.com San Francisco, CA 16 to 50 Employees

One of the best places for an engineer to learn and grow

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

Pros* Completely open culture where everyone is encouraged to give their coworkers regular feedback, so you don't have that fear and uncertainty about how you're doing. The engineering managers are fun, sincere, communicative people on top of being brilliant and hardworking. They genuinely want to help you improve your professional / life skills.

* Smart technical colleagues you can approach to discuss any problem you have, and they often suggest sexy new technologies that might help you out.

* Autonomy, opportunities to take lead on high-profile projects and easy to transition between teams / projects. I can't speak for the non-engineering side of the company, but everyone at engineering seems very satisfied.

Cons* No free lunches or company-sponsored happy hours / ski trips (they will sponsor those trips and outings if you volunteer to organize them though.) This is probably balanced out by our complete flexibility like working from home and taking half-days for doctor appointments, taking care of kids, etc.

* Partnering with 3rd-party companies who are less efficient than we are, can be frustrating.

* This is obvious but Flixster is not a rocket ship like AirBnb or Facebook was. Flixster will compensate you well and give lots of bonuses, but it's no longer a million-dollar lottery ticket to an IPO, if that's what you're looking for.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs we expand and hire more people, try not to lose that close communication we've enjoyed over past years.

A special place full of passionate people working on really fun products

I have been working at Flixster

Pros: Flixster is a different kind of startup with a handful of really successful products. The managers and engineers are never content,… Cons: The company is famously frugal, although everyone has a great sense of humor about it.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great environment, lousy office, fun spirit

I have been working at Flixster

Pros: Joe, Steve and Saran are highly visible leaders who act as if they are… Cons: Slow action on some ideas; there's a little "not invented here" syndrome among some top… Advice to Senior Management: Trust the ideas employees generate. Behave more like a real company (which we are) and not… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Flixster.

Worked for Flixster? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Flixster reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Flixster CEO Joe Greenstein. All reviews posted anonymously by Flixster employees.