Great company!

I worked at Florida Blue

Pros

The people who work there are dedicated to doing a good job. This is one of the few companies left where people get hired early in their career and often still stay there until retirement.

Cons

Health Insurance is very regulated and Florida Blue, like others, has to react to environmental changes. Change is good and necessary, but sometimes departments seem to reorganize too often rather than make more meaningful changes.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

A relationship based company

Former Employee - IT Manager in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Florida Blue full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits for employees. Great pay and benefits for executives and middle managers. Good technology.

Cons

You have to go along to get along. All promotions, hiring and firing are based on who you know not your skills. The politics are viscous and that blocks innovation. If you suggest an idea without your boss’ support and approval; there will be retribution. This is particularly true in the IT department. Last year an IT executive fired 8 middle managers and then bragged in a staff meeting how she got revenge on her enemies.

Advice to Management

When you delegate responsibility, delegate equivalent authority! Empower your front line and middle managers to make decisions according to their responsibilities. Making decisions by consensus means nobody is held accountable. Just because somebody has worked there for 20 years, does not mean they are competent.

Worst company I ever worked for.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Florida Blue as a contractor

Pros

Pay rate is decent but relo costs are not repaid.

Cons

I moved my entire life to Jacksonville after they hired me (all on my own dime). I put my son in a school after relocating and wasn't even on the job a month before they let me go because they said "according to our policy, if a permanent employee could do the work I did (as a contractor), they take precidence". So they fired me without warning or severance and left me holding the bag. I couldn't get a job in Jax. for a year and didn't have enough $ to go back home. The CEO basically said "oh well" after I wrote to him.

Advice to Management

Know who and what the person is going to have to go through to APPEASE you before hiring them... And change your policy (I went ABOVE and BEYOND to help your firm and you *crewed me).